Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

YAY! I'm so excited!

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 15 Replies

I know when you read the title of this post the first thought that came to your mind more than likely was that I am excited that I"m pregnant again. NOPE! That's not the case YET! I'm happy to say that I'm finally making the steps towards switching myself from having a "regular" obgyn to a midwife who does obgyn type stuff. FINALLY! I made the appointment for doing a meet and greet for a midwife! I'm so excited that I actually have the option open to me to go with someone who is more on my level of care that I want for prepregnancy care leading up to when I get pregnant again. Well, I'm sure that you get the idea.

Just a little back story that when I got pregnant with my son I chose to go with a regular obgyn, have a hospital birth and go through the whole shabang of the epidural, being induced etc. At the time that I had that doctor I liked but didn't love his level of care. He was by no means a bad doctor or anything. He was actually the opposite. He was caring and compassionate, listen to my concerns and questions but most importantly made sure that everything was ok with my baby even when there was a little bit of panic due to him not realizing that my son had dropped at 32 weeks, measured small due to him dropping, did an ultrasound to check fluid and such. Everything turned out just fine even though I had gestational diabetes during the pregnancy and I had started with Braxton Hicks contractions at 32 weeks. The only issue that my husband and I had with him was that he wasn't very good with communication in deciding at what point he was going to take baby at if at all. At first he said that if I dont' have baby by 38 weeks he was going to induce me. Well, he suddenly decided not to and kept trying to push me to 40+ weeks. In 20/20 hindesite I now understand why he wanted to push me out that far after learning that even when mom is 40 weeks baby is only at 38 or 39 weeks. (Please correct me if I have that wrong)Granted witih all of that there was some reisitance that came from me that I just wanted baby out, I was getting huge (or I felt like I was a beached whale) and I was ready for baby to be here. (I will post a picture at the end of this post so you can see how big I really was/wasn't with my son)

I was just wondering if there are any of you out there who have the same option as I do to have a midwife who also does obgyn type work but goes with the natural wholeisitic way of things yet you give birth in a hospital with the same options open to you as being in a birthing center yet your insurance pays for it. If you do then would you care to share your experience? I would love to hear some stories of other ladies experiences. Thanks!

Me at 38 weeks...from the side

Me at 38 weeks from the front

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Congrats I hope you find the perfect midwife
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:01 PM

The only midwives that are allowed to deliver at my local hospital are medwives...not relly natural and not midwives at all...so I dont know alot about midwives that deliver at hospitals besides them.  I hope you find the perfect midwife for your needs!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM

good luck finding a great midwife.

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I had a midwife with my first but she was what most here would refer to as a medwife. Next time I will go with a homebirth midwife. I still adored my first midwife though. She was perfect for my needs at that time. I was nervous and had no experience/support with natural birthing so I felt like I had a good balance between the reassurance of a hospital/doctor but without the pressure for intervention that cones with an obgyn.

I succeeded in giving birth naturally in a hospital(well birthing center attached to hospital) with my "medwife" and I liked that they only did two ultrasounds and no routine cervix checks. They did, however, tell me that after 42 weeks they would have highly suggested an induction and I nodded and said I understood even though I would not have let them just because I had a feeling it wouldn't be an issue. My daughter came at 41+1 weeks so I never had to fight!

Congrats in you decision to see a midwife! I hope you find one you love!
catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Congratulations! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Love the baby belly! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:25 AM
I'm glad you found a midwife! It can be hard to understand that many midwives in hospital settings are not natural at all but more like regular OB's so just keep that in mind. They still work in the hospital and have to follow the same rules. I hope you find a good one and they're what you're looking for!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pink_angel85
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Thank you ladies for the kind words so far! I really appreciate the insite and the stories. I have already figured out what midwife I'm going with and doing a meet and greet with her. From my understanding is that she is a midwife who also does obgyn things but is natural and wholeistic and is her primary focus but is willing to step in with the obgyn side of things only if the situation needs it. I am looking forward to this experience! If you ladies love your midwives that much I am sure I will love being under the care of one. I also know other ladies that have midwives who love them.

pink_angel85
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I was wondering if you had a doula? If not, who did you have with you for your support.

Quoting MissSarah04:

I had a midwife with my first but she was what most here would refer to as a medwife. Next time I will go with a homebirth midwife. I still adored my first midwife though. She was perfect for my needs at that time. I was nervous and had no experience/support with natural birthing so I felt like I had a good balance between the reassurance of a hospital/doctor but without the pressure for intervention that cones with an obgyn.

I succeeded in giving birth naturally in a hospital(well birthing center attached to hospital) with my "medwife" and I liked that they only did two ultrasounds and no routine cervix checks. They did, however, tell me that after 42 weeks they would have highly suggested an induction and I nodded and said I understood even though I would not have let them just because I had a feeling it wouldn't be an issue. My daughter came at 41+1 weeks so I never had to fight!

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I'm pretty indepent and hard-headed so I didn't really want anyone for support. Next time, though, I want a doula. I labored by myself a lot. I paced and walked and rocked. My bf was sleeping while we were at home and once we got to the birth center my mom came but she mostly just sat. Lol. My bf then left for work at 5am bc he needed to try to work 6-8 and I thought I would be laboring for hours. We called him back at 6:30 though when my water broke and he got back at 7 and our daughter was born at 7:48!

Quoting pink_angel85:

I was wondering if you had a doula? If not, who did you have with you for your support.

Quoting MissSarah04:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)