Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

'Homemade Cleaners' - Multi-purpose wipes

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 73 Replies

Today's cleaner of the day is multi-purpose wipes.

These wipes are great for quick clean ups in the kitchen and bathroom. They can also be washed and used again with more solution. 

Ingredients:

Rags, old t-shirts, old socks, etc
1 cup water
1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
2 tablespoons Dawn dish soap
2 tablespoons ammonia (optional)

Put rags into a container (I used an old wipes container). Mix water, alcohol, Dawn and ammonia together, pour over rags. Use as needed.

**Note: when making these for the photo above, I did double the liquids. With just the original recipe, I didn't feel that the rags were wet enough-probably because I was using socks and not t-shirts and smaller rags.

Is this a recipe you would try? What do you usually use for quick clean ups around the house?

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
nataliemaddymom
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Would not try this. I use a solution of water, castle soap and tea tree oil. cut up an old shirt for tags and keep in mason jar. I love these especially with a two year old boy in the bathroom.
mewebb82
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I cut a small chunk off a bar of goats milk soap (about a centimeter squared) and dissolve it in 1 cup of very hot water, then add a few drops of tea tree oil and a little aloe Vera gel. I keep it in a peri bottle so I can spray it on dry cloth wipes or washcloths as I need them.

Quoting Clubpenguin:

Quoting mewebb82:

I don't think that is one I will try. We use cloth wipes with our cloth diapered baby and occasionally grab one for a quick clean up otherwise. I prefer my recipe and it smells wonderful. Water, goats milk soap, tea tree oil, and aloe.

would you share this recipe? It's sounds wonderful

mewebb82
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I don't think that is one I will try. We use cloth wipes with our cloth diapered baby and occasionally grab one for a quick clean up otherwise. I prefer my recipe and it smells wonderful. Water, goats milk soap, tea tree oil, and aloe.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I would be willing to give this a shot. I love cleaning wipes but currently use Lysol. :(

Clubpenguin
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM
I would it would make quick clean ups easier
Clubpenguin
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Quoting mewebb82:

AudlyLuvly
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I use a castile soap recipe for my solution, and an old baby wipes container! On to of having these available, I'm planning on getting stuff to make some unpaper-towels.
rachelrothchild
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I wouldn't use that because I don't use ammonia or Dawn, but thanks for the idea.  I will use castile soap in the future.

mewebb82
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I cut a small chunk off a bar of goats milk soap (about a centimeter squared) and dissolve it in 1 cup of very hot water, then add a few drops of tea tree oil and a little aloe Vera gel. I keep it in a peri bottle so I can spray it on dry cloth wipes or washcloths as I need them.

Quoting Clubpenguin:

Quoting mewebb82:

PracticMomSense
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I'll have to give it a try. We currently use old T-shirts or socks to wash our cars. We also use Dawn soap. For house clean-up purposes, we like to use Scotch-Brite organic wipes, or we use a wash cloth with either Dawn soap and ammonia, or tea tree oil, lavendar, lemongrass, or just plain lemon with a little baking soda. They smell great, and clean amazingly. :)

~Cathleen and Family

family in the vanfamily in the vanbaby giftin love

Practical Mom Sense: http://practicalmomsense.weebly.com

Clubpenguin
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Quoting mewebb82:

thank you I will try it
rjmac88
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Can hurt to try! I had a box of just soap and water I used for clorh baby wipes once and it got yucky smelling. I wonder If this will last better with then alcohol in it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN