Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Please suggestions for teenage sons dry scalp

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 29 Replies
My 13 yr old has really bad dry scalp. It scabs so bad and bleeds. The only thing that helps is coconut oil with tea tree and peppermint oil. I have to apply this daily and leave it on (usually 40 min) for it to help. If we use this daily his scalp gets better in about two weeks, but as soon as we skip a day or two it comes back. Sometimes we just don't have time ugh.

We have anti-itch stuff to keep him from scratching and I've also tried witch hazel.

I don't know what else to do, but it does itch and hurt him. Also he uses Dr. Bonners tea tree soap to wash with.

Any other ideas/thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seabreeze9
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Have you tried a no shampoo regiment? I know there are a lot of people that swear by no poo.

That sounds really miserable. Did it just start or has it always been that way? If its new, might it be hormone related? I get eczema on my scalp at times and the only thing that worked to help it was garnier anti dandruff shampoo. Nothing else would help. I hope you guys find something to make it easier.
secondboy2012
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM
It is newer and so is the acne. So yes it's hormone related. I have thought about no poo, but with doing the coconut oil he has to wash it. Maybe we will try getting it better and then try no poo??

Quoting Seabreeze9:

Have you tried a no shampoo regiment? I know there are a lot of people that swear by no poo.

That sounds really miserable. Did it just start or has it always been that way? If its new, might it be hormone related? I get eczema on my scalp at times and the only thing that worked to help it was garnier anti dandruff shampoo. Nothing else would help. I hope you guys find something to make it easier.
Seabreeze9
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM
If it's hormone related who knows what will fix it. With no poo I think it takes a week or so of scummy hair before natural oils balance out.

Has he tried just not washing it and letting the coconut oil just sit and soak into his skin for a few days?

Something that is a pain but can really help with the face breakouts. Change his pillow case daily. Doe he have long hair? Hair touching the face rubs oil and gunk onto the skin and that can cause breakouts.

I am 30 and still struggle with hormonal breakouts. Here is my facial routine. It's not chemical free. I wash my face once a day before bed. I alternate daily between a salicylic acid black head scrub and a regular benzo peroxide face wash. (I rinse the acid right away but let the benzo sit for 30 seconds) After that I put a small bit of coconut oil around my eyes and breakout prone areas. Then I use an oil free moisturizer over my entire face and neck area.

This is what it takes to control my breakouts. It took a long time to figure out how to work with my skin and get it cleared up. I still get zits when my hormones go high.

Quoting secondboy2012:

It is newer and so is the acne. So yes it's hormone related. I have thought about no poo, but with doing the coconut oil he has to wash it. Maybe we will try getting it better and then try no poo??

Quoting Seabreeze9:

buffalove23
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I've done an apple cider vinegar rinse which helped, but I would imagine it would hurt with open sores
secondboy2012
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Once we let the oil sit and like I said if we do it daily it gets better. He is autistic (high functioning) he fights me after a few days so it's definitely frustrating. He does well with his basic hygiene needs, but gets very lazy when it comes to this.
He has short hair in fact I buzzed it so I could really get the oils into his scalp.
Thanks for your advice. I think I will look up the no poo method and possibly try it. I may also give him oregano pills daily??

Quoting Seabreeze9:

If it's hormone related who knows what will fix it. With no poo I think it takes a week or so of scummy hair before natural oils balance out.

Has he tried just not washing it and letting the coconut oil just sit and soak into his skin for a few days?

Something that is a pain but can really help with the face breakouts. Change his pillow case daily. Doe he have long hair? Hair touching the face rubs oil and gunk onto the skin and that can cause breakouts.

I am 30 and still struggle with hormonal breakouts. Here is my facial routine. It's not chemical free. I wash my face once a day before bed. I alternate daily between a salicylic acid black head scrub and a regular benzo peroxide face wash. (I rinse the acid right away but let the benzo sit for 30 seconds) After that I put a small bit of coconut oil around my eyes and breakout prone areas. Then I use an oil free moisturizer over my entire face and neck area.

This is what it takes to control my breakouts. It took a long time to figure out how to work with my skin and get it cleared up. I still get zits when my hormones go high.

Quoting secondboy2012:

Quoting Seabreeze9:

secondboy2012
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM
That is part of the no poo regime right? Once we heal the sore I might try it. Thanks

Quoting buffalove23:

I've done an apple cider vinegar rinse which helped, but I would imagine it would hurt with open sores
Seabreeze9
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Wow that really sounds like a handful. I really hope some gives and you get things figured out. I am sure it's miserable.

Good luck!!!

Quoting secondboy2012:

Once we let the oil sit and like I said if we do it daily it gets better. He is autistic (high functioning) he fights me after a few days so it's definitely frustrating. He does well with his basic hygiene needs, but gets very lazy when it comes to this.

He has short hair in fact I buzzed it so I could really get the oils into his scalp.

Thanks for your advice. I think I will look up the no poo method and possibly try it. I may also give him oregano pills daily??

Quoting Seabreeze9:

Quoting secondboy2012:

Quoting Seabreeze9:

secondboy2012
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Oh he is a handful lol especially with a 1 yr old attached to me. I know he can do more, but it's a fight daily. He just doesn't care if it doesn't involve video games or building legos.

Quoting Seabreeze9:

Wow that really sounds like a handful. I really hope some gives and you get things figured out. I am sure it's miserable.

Good luck!!!

Quoting secondboy2012:

Quoting Seabreeze9:

Quoting secondboy2012:

Quoting Seabreeze9:

rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I have no solutions.  I have itchy/dry scalp myself and nothing seems to work.  Well, nothing except pregnancy.  When I am pregnant, my scalp is better.  I've tried TTO, coconut oil, no poo, different shampoos and conditioners, ACV, diet changes, etc.  

Seabreeze9
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM
That sounds like a teenager if I ever hear ;)

My step daughter is the same way. If its not drawing or cats its not interesting.

Quoting secondboy2012:

Oh he is a handful lol especially with a 1 yr old attached to me. I know he can do more, but it's a fight daily. He just doesn't care if it doesn't involve video games or building legos.

Quoting Seabreeze9:

Good luck!!!

Quoting secondboy2012:

Quoting Seabreeze9:

Quoting secondboy2012:

Quoting Seabreeze9:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)