Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Please suggestions for teenage sons dry scalp

Posted by   + Show Post
My 13 yr old has really bad dry scalp. It scabs so bad and bleeds. The only thing that helps is coconut oil with tea tree and peppermint oil. I have to apply this daily and leave it on (usually 40 min) for it to help. If we use this daily his scalp gets better in about two weeks, but as soon as we skip a day or two it comes back. Sometimes we just don't have time ugh.

We have anti-itch stuff to keep him from scratching and I've also tried witch hazel.

I don't know what else to do, but it does itch and hurt him. Also he uses Dr. Bonners tea tree soap to wash with.

Any other ideas/thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Replies (21-29):
secondboy2012
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Did he still shampoo?

Quoting catholicmamamia:

My teen son found massaging a little coconut oil.. just co, no other oils.. into his scalp (only scalp, not hair) before showering to help with his dry scalp. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I know when my scalp gets really dry I put coconut oil on it at night and just let it sit there all night and wash it out the next morning.  That sounds painful and frustrating, I'm sorry.  Have you ever talked with a dermatologist about it?

secondboy2012
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I might try that if he will wear a cap. I talked to his pediatrician, but they were useless. If I can't help him soon I will find a dermatologist. I definitely don't want him taking any drugs though.

Quoting Sarah725:

I know when my scalp gets really dry I put coconut oil on it at night and just let it sit there all night and wash it out the next morning.  That sounds painful and frustrating, I'm sorry.  Have you ever talked with a dermatologist about it?

Aleewink
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM
SO, I guess I have two different suggestions. I suffered from itchy scalp issues for years, and once I changed my diet it cleared up. I do also use natural/simple products to wash my long hair. I live in FL so walking outside for a minute will make me sweat, I have to wash regularly, but I try not to do it every day. The diet is really what I feel like made a difference. My husband has the absolute worst scalp issues I have ever encountered. I have not convinced him to make any drastic changes in his diet, so we are just working on other options now. For a long time I was using coconut oil and tea tree oil also, but he continued to scratch and the build up got so bad that you could see it clearly at his hairline on his forehead. I did more reading and we think it could be a fungus. :( We started a new regimen two weeks ago and it has made a huge difference!! At night I do a two egg shampoo and leave it on his head for about 30 minutes, then he rinses it out and isn't using any other hair products right now. After the rinse/shower I go back and use the tea tree oil because he likes the way that makes his hair smell. His hair has never looked better and his scalp showed improvement right away!! From everything that I read, the fungus is persistent so we have to be persistent in continuing treatment until we get it all, but the improvement is so marked that neither of us could believe it. Good luck to you momma!!
secondboy2012
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM
So you just use the eggs? I wasn't sure when you said two egg shampoo. I will definitely give this a try and we are already using tea tree oil. I also heard Rosemary oil helps so I just ordered that to try. Thanks so much!

Quoting Aleewink:

SO, I guess I have two different suggestions. I suffered from itchy scalp issues for years, and once I changed my diet it cleared up. I do also use natural/simple products to wash my long hair. I live in FL so walking outside for a minute will make me sweat, I have to wash regularly, but I try not to do it every day. The diet is really what I feel like made a difference.

My husband has the absolute worst scalp issues I have ever encountered. I have not convinced him to make any drastic changes in his diet, so we are just working on other options now. For a long time I was using coconut oil and tea tree oil also, but he continued to scratch and the build up got so bad that you could see it clearly at his hairline on his forehead. I did more reading and we think it could be a fungus. :( We started a new regimen two weeks ago and it has made a huge difference!! At night I do a two egg shampoo and leave it on his head for about 30 minutes, then he rinses it out and isn't using any other hair products right now. After the rinse/shower I go back and use the tea tree oil because he likes the way that makes his hair smell. His hair has never looked better and his scalp showed improvement right away!! From everything that I read, the fungus is persistent so we have to be persistent in continuing treatment until we get it all, but the improvement is so marked that neither of us could believe it.

Good luck to you momma!!
LuvAZmomma
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM
It sounds like Seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a form of eczema. My husband has it.
lexiemmysmom
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I am have an easily irritated scalp as well. My derm gave me a steroid to use but our scalp is super thin and I didn't want that penetrating my skin! Here are my tips. Avoid sulfates like the plague. They are horrible and strip our skin's barrier. They are what gives shampoo and soaps the foaming ability. They also are used in household cleaners to keep our floors shiny. Neem oil is very soothing and great for irritation. If you have a vitamin shop or natural store (maybe even Whole Foods or Wegmans) you can find a bottle of plain neem oil and it's not expensive. Peppermint is great for scalp circulation so I would continue that. They also now have scalp exfoliation treatments. You can try that weekly to help slough off the dead skin. Will also help treatments penetrate better. Be careful with the coconut oil, while it's soothing it is highly highly comedogenic. It nothing seems to soothe his issues then he may have scalp psoriasis or sebborheic dermatitis. If that's the case he might benefit from a salicylic acid treatment shampoo. You can find them in the drugstore. Good luck

secondboy2012
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
No sulfates, but wow I never heard that about coconut oil. Ahhhh this is so frustrating. I will definitely do a little research and yes we have a health store. I guess neem oil will be on my list next time we go. Thanks

Quoting lexiemmysmom:

I am have an easily irritated scalp as well. My derm gave me a steroid to use but our scalp is super thin and I didn't want that penetrating my skin! Here are my tips. Avoid sulfates like the plague. They are horrible and strip our skin's barrier. They are what gives shampoo and soaps the foaming ability. They also are used in household cleaners to keep our floors shiny. Neem oil is very soothing and great for irritation. If you have a vitamin shop or natural store (maybe even Whole Foods or Wegmans) you can find a bottle of plain neem oil and it's not expensive. Peppermint is great for scalp circulation so I would continue that. They also now have scalp exfoliation treatments. You can try that weekly to help slough off the dead skin. Will also help treatments penetrate better. Be careful with the coconut oil, while it's soothing it is highly highly comedogenic. It nothing seems to soothe his issues then he may have scalp psoriasis or sebborheic dermatitis. If that's the case he might benefit from a salicylic acid treatment shampoo. You can find them in the drugstore. Good luck

lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Like dandruff? Mercola says dandruff is a fungus that lives in the scalp eating the oils it produces. He actually said he cured his dandruff by leaving selson blue on his head for a night, doing that for a couple weeks. Apparently the active ingredient is a fungus killer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)