Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I don't want to go to the hospital!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM
  • 19 Replies

I've just about risked out on my midwife's care.  I actually have two of them who both work at a birth center.  They only risk out due to laws (like high bp readings), or when they have a gut feeling that something isn't right and they want an OB's opinion.  My primary midwife said that usually, when she has a gut feeling something is off, it usually is.  They've been running a bunch of tests, and the last BPP showed that baby was okay.  That was last Thursday.  But my kidneys are getting worse and worse, and they want me to have this baby before the weekend or they're wanting to send me to an OB, who will probably induce.  My midwives are trying to induce naturally, using methods that only work when your body is ready, but nothing is working.  I'd rather have a longer labor at the birth center with them, rather than an induction at a hospital. 

I'm taking lots of EPO, done chiropractic and acupuncture, drinking the RLT, and using some herbs off an on whenever I go in to see them.  Sex isn't an option since my husband is recovering from surgery. 

Is there anything else I can do?  I'm officially at 39+3 today, although based on the day I ovulated I'm due in two days.  I had my first baby at 39+4.

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Try to take the pressure off. You're pounding your body with labor stuff and not even 40 weeks! The stress alone could stall labor.

Idk what else to tell you though. You can't force the baby, that has a bad enough success rate with medical inductions. You don't *have* to agree to an induction, even if they send you to the OB. I can't imagine what all those herbs are doing to your kidneys if they're already stressed :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corbysmom531
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Quoting larissalarie:

Try to take the pressure off. You're pounding your body with labor stuff and not even 40 weeks! The stress alone could stall labor.

Idk what else to tell you though. You can't force the baby, that has a bad enough success rate with medical inductions. You don't *have* to agree to an induction, even if they send you to the OB.  I think if they sent me to the OB, it would be bad enough for me to want the baby out.   And they won't send me over till it's illegal for them to care for me.  After today's appointment, I have another week before they do labs again, and they'll make a decision then.  They're trying to avoid a post birth hospital stay just for my kidneys. I can't imagine what all those herbs are doing to your kidneys if they're already stressed :( They were monitoring them every few days, but just gave me a week because the numbers were a little better this time.  And really, it's only cramp bark and one or two others I can't remember once a week or so.  I did have them twice last week because I was having so many braxton hicks that weren't progressing into labor, and I was throwing up. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Just relax and maybe baby will come. If not you can opt out of an induction

Precious333
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Hugs mama. Is there anything that relaxes you? If you are stressed it makes things harder on your baby and more difficult for you to go into labor (its a survival thing i suppose).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corbysmom531
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I'm not really stressed about what's going on, just the symptoms, if that makes sense.  The symptoms are really hard to deal with, and they frustrate me.

Quoting Precious333:

Hugs mama. Is there anything that relaxes you? If you are stressed it makes things harder on your baby and more difficult for you to go into labor (its a survival thing i suppose).

May-mom
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM
try going for walks, the fresh air is relaxing and the movement might help get things going... good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganmommy4
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Its gross but Cod Liver Oil in a glass of juice ( two tablespoons) only if your body is ready and it usually works in 12-24 hours

4kids4tara
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM

My advice wouldn't be popular here so I will just wish you good luck.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM

nipple stimulation helps...can they use a foley bulb at the birth center? EPO has been known to break waters before labor is started which is a risk,,midwives should know that

corbysmom531
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I've been trying the nipple stimulation, and it doesn't really do much but cause nipple pain, so I quit that. 

She did tell me yesterday that they can do a balloon dilation if things get really bad, so that made me feel better.  I didn't think they could do that.  It's something they usually don't do till 42 1/2 weeks, because at 43 weeks they legally can't see you anymore.  But in a case like mine, they consider it earlier, if you're after your due date.  Risk vs. reward type thing.

Because I can't really get prostaglandins from sex, they're not too worried about the EPO.  My cervix was barely at a one and not ripe at all, so they wanted me to start taking that to make up for the no sex thing.  I didn't get a check yesterday, so I have no idea if it's even doing anything.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

nipple stimulation helps...can they use a foley bulb at the birth center? EPO has been known to break waters before labor is started which is a risk,,midwives should know that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)