Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Yep my boss asked today about being induced and csection and epidural and blah blah blah and I told her not having any of that I am having a homebirth.  She said boy you are NUTS! I always thought you were different but man this proves it.  Guess alot of us are nuts huh because I know I am not the only one that doest wanted a medicated birth

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Replies (51-60):
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Because major abdominal surgery is so much less painful than letting your body do what it's designed to do?

I'd way rather have a few hours of painful labor than weeks and months of recovery.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

She said whe nshe gave birth she was all the way out because she wanted a csection..she ahd 3 csections.  SHe said giving birth was just too paiful...but how would she know since she never even did labor!?

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Same here. I knew two moms growing up who had homebirths and I thought it was dangerous and weird. Then when I was in college, a friend of mine was pregnant and so excited to birth naturally and I couldn't figure out why someone wouldn't want pain medication.

Thankfully I researched on my own when I got pregnant and my views changed :)

Quoting hapababies:

Four years ago I would have thought you were nuts too. I'm not sure I would have said it out loud though.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I hope you told her how inappropriate that was!!!

tyrelsmom
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Depends what the reason is. For example, VBAC should not be a reason that prevents a MW birth. But in some states, it is. Thankfully, not where I live. If a woman has a choice: unassisted or pretty much forced c-section, my choice would be unassisted. I believe it's the safer choice of the two.

In my personal case, if this turns out to be twins, I may be placed in the same position. It's not that a MW birth with twins is dangerous.... it's just that there's rules. And my midwife has a family and doesn't want to lose her licence. Now my first try would be to find an OB that would give me a fair chance at a vaginal birth. But if that was impossible, then provided things were looking good, I'd stay home until I was pushing, at least, then maybe call an ambulance. Or maybe not. If we weren't so often unnecessarily pushed into surgery, things would be different. What we need is more choice.

Quoting gbcmom:

2 yrs ago I would have thought the same. And would have said something equally as rude. I am learning. Natural birth is not for everyone. Hospital birth is not for everyone. Home birth is not for everyone. But doesn't give me the right to be a bitchin to your choice. Now with that said. I do not get it and never will why some choose a homebirth (unassisted) when they know they have a medical issue which prevents a mw birth. If your mw says you have a medical reason that you need to be with an ob or at the hospital. She is not saying go home and have the baby unassisted.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I know a lot of UCers (online) and I don't think I know anyone who's done this, except maybe in a situation where a midwife can't attend an uncomplicated vbac or breech birth for legal reasons.

Quoting gbcmom:

2 yrs ago I would have thought the same. And would have said something equally as rude. I am learning. Natural birth is not for everyone. Hospital birth is not for everyone. Home birth is not for everyone. But doesn't give me the right to be a bitchin to your choice. Now with that said. I do not get it and never will why some choose a homebirth (unassisted) when they know they have a medical issue which prevents a mw birth. If your mw says you have a medical reason that you need to be with an ob or at the hospital. She is not saying go home and have the baby unassisted.

gbcmom
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Maybe I should have said I don't understand UC at all. Because yes these reason would fall into my " get your butt to a doctor catagory". If there are legal reasons your mw can't deliver you, then somewhere when that law was written, the risks were higher than the reward. I have read a ton of online birth stories from UC moms, not all, but most of them I do not understand. If you have had a uncomplicated mw birth and are comfortable having #2 without assistance, go for it, not my choice, but yours. However, if your mw says you've had 2 medically necessary c-sec and a low lying placenta with the possibility of rupture. Or your baby is breech or another risky position. Past bleeding issues. Past birth issues (with mom or baby). HBP. I could go on and on. At this point I would not agree with UC at all. Sorry if that sounds bitchy, it just scares me to death.
JocelynsMama1
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM

guess im nuts too LOL

MegMonsterMomma
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I was so terrified of having any interventions that I almost cried with relief when I went into labour just 3 days away from being 42 weeks. Haha. My midwives were fine with letting me stay pregnant, but I was starting to worry about being pregnant forever, or baby developing some kind of complication.

I'm planning a home birth this fall! :)

mamabens
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM

My own mother screamed at me that I was crazy when she found out  I was having Harrison at home. :(

tyrelsmom
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Those laws get written because doctors are powerful. No other reason. Think of how it looks if they have a VBAC ban at their hospital because it's soooo dangerous, but 100's of women are having HBACs without an issue. They're going to lose all credibility.

Quoting gbcmom:

Maybe I should have said I don't understand UC at all. Because yes these reason would fall into my " get your butt to a doctor catagory". If there are legal reasons your mw can't deliver you, then somewhere when that law was written, the risks were higher than the reward. I have read a ton of online birth stories from UC moms, not all, but most of them I do not understand. If you have had a uncomplicated mw birth and are comfortable having #2 without assistance, go for it, not my choice, but yours. However, if your mw says you've had 2 medically necessary c-sec and a low lying placenta with the possibility of rupture. Or your baby is breech or another risky position. Past bleeding issues. Past birth issues (with mom or baby). HBP. I could go on and on. At this point I would not agree with UC at all. Sorry if that sounds bitchy, it just scares me to death.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN