Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How do you feel about this?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  • 22 Replies

Mobile Photo

I am torn. I agree that it is scary to be cut open and have your baby pulled from you body. I agree moms who agree to a c-section for the health of their baby are incredibly brave.

However, the person who shared it did not have a c-section because the baby was in jeopardy. She wasn't in labor and the baby was healthy. She just believed the doctor when she said her baby was over 9 pounds and too big. She ignored friends who told her those estimates can be off by a pound or more. She allowed them to rip her little 7 pound baby from her body before he was ready to be born.

Sigh. I just have such mixed emotion when I see this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM
For the medically necessary c sections, absolutely.

Also though, MANY moms who had a c section are so condition to THINK it was 100% necessary for their babies (or theirs) survival. It's a sad manipulation tool by doctors.
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM
It really is. So when the doc realized she screwed up by esitmating the size of the baby wrong she said "oh well he was sunny side up so you would have needed a c-section anyway"

The doc couldn't admit that she was wrong to push for a section.

Quoting ceckyl:

Also though, MANY moms who had a c section are so condition to THINK it was 100% necessary for their babies (or theirs) survival. It's a sad manipulation tool by doctors.
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM
It's so not fair. I mean, every mother will do anything to keep their baby safe and alive, and doctors know this and use it.

Quoting MissSarah04:

It really is. So when the doc realized she screwed up by esitmating the size of the baby wrong she said "oh well he was sunny side up so you would have needed a c-section anyway"

The doc couldn't admit that she was wrong to push for a section.

Quoting ceckyl:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM
3 moms liked this
I think all mothers are brave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Well put.

Quoting jellyphish:

I think all mothers are brave.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaRoberts
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM
I can understand why you would be torn....I have someone who had a section because of twins eight years ago and we are a week apart due and she is opting for an elective section. I have never said anything to her about her choice, but she has made comments about my choice to stay home this time around. I fought tooth and nail to just TRY to vbac with my last baby and still ended up with a section because of unsupportive doctors and stalled progression of my labor....Smh, it bothers me that an elective section "just because" could be treated this way.... I wonder if because its so easy to just section why I feel this way when I feel like the only way for me to even try to birth the way I want to has me jaded a bit since I feel very little choice in care or providers, because of my sections.
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM
5 moms liked this
I think there might have been a time it was bravery to have a c section, but anymore people think it's the easy convenient way to have a baby.

I don't like the over the top nature of the above statements. I know A LOT of women who have had c sections. Not a single one was done to save the baby's life. They were the result of failed inductions or elective repeats.

The need to over-dramatize the "need" for the c section says a lot and is what bothers me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Also knowing ONE person to actually need C section, I think it kind of undermines what they went through.

Quoting larissalarie:I think there might have been a time it was bravery to have a c section, but anymore people think it's the easy convenient way to have a baby.

I don't like the over the top nature of the above statements. I know A LOT of women who have had c sections. Not a single one was done to save the baby's life. They were the result of failed inductions or elective repeats.

The need to over-dramatize the "need" for the c section says a lot and is what bothers me.
AlwaysKISA
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM
I think every single mom that has had a csection sincerely believes with all of their being that it was an emergency or necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this if it's a medical emergency.  I think it's good not to fear c-sections to be ok with it if your child is in danger.  But saying you will skip the labor and "be brave" to have a c-section is kind of ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)