Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

'Homemade Cleaners' - Laundry Detergent

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:20 AM
  • 63 Replies
1 mom liked this

Today's homemade cleaner is laundry detergent.

I make powder detergent but below is also the recipe for liquid. This recipe does contain borax-which gets mixed reviews on how natural and safe it is. There are recipes available (I'm sure a mom will post one below) that do not contain borax. 

Ingredients:

1 bar of soap (Fels-Naptha, Ivory, Zote are just a few that can be used)
1 cup Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)
1/2 cup Borax

Directions for powdered detergent:

Finely grate soap, add washing soda and borax, stir. Use 1-2 tablespoons per wash load.

Directions for liquid detergent:

Grate laundry soap, add to 4 cups of warm water in a saucepan. Stir until soap melts. Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full with hot water, pour in soap/water mixture, washing soda and borax. Stir until fully dissolved. Add water to the bucket to the top. Let sit overnight. Take another container (reuse milk jugs, juice containers, old laundry soap containers, etc), fill half way with laundry detergent, add water to fill container and shake. For a top load, use about 1/2 cup. For front load, use 1/4 cup.

Do you make your own laundry detergent or do you use store bought? Would you try this recipe? Do you have another recipe that you use?

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
Ladybugmama86
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM

This is the link to the recipe. I dont think its going ot last me a year, but at least 6 months! I also use more then what the recipe calls for. I got the oxiclean at the Dollar Tree for $1 and only used 2 containers, and used 1 container of Purex Crystals. I also just realized that I never put the baking soda in-- oops!

I also used the food processor to grate the soap and my only suggestion is cut it into small squares (I used fels-naptha) turn the food processor on and start with one square and then add one at a time until you have a good little bit in there and then you can add 3 or 4 at a time.

Make A Year's Worth of Laundry Soap for $30.00!

years supply of laundry detergent Regular readers of this blog will know that I am completely sold on the No-Grate Laundry Detergent that I posted back in February of this year. But, like I've said many times on this website, I am always open to new ideas! And I really liked this idea that someone posted as a comment awhile back.

A YEARS worth of Laundry Soap!?!? That's an idea that is hard NOT to get behind! Plus, I've been curious about the "dry" version of homemade laundry detergent that so many people are fond of. I have never tried it before. I figured it's high time I did!

Here is the recipe that Anonymous posted (the text in red are my notes):

Anonymous said...
I make a dry version which works better for my family. I hate storing the bottles, shaking it up, and making it more often. I only make it once and it lasts for the entire year for our family of 4.

3 bars Fels Naptha, grated ($1.33 x 3)
1 box Borax ($5.85 - 76 ounces)
1 box Washing Soda ($4.07 - 55 ounces)
2 cups of baking soda ($0.53 cents)
2 containers of Dollar Tree Oxyclean (I bought mine at Family Dollar store...SUN Brand...$4.00 each)
1-2 containers of Purex fabric softener crystals ($6.97 - 28 ounces)

Use 2 tablespoons per load. Put it right in the barrel if you have an HE washer.

To grate the bars of soap I decided to make it easier on myself and use my ancient Hamilton Beach food processor. I figured if it broke in the process it would give me a good excuse to get a new one! But fortunately (unfortunately?) it handled the soap just fine. I would offer one tip though if you decide to use your food processer to "grate" your soap: add something else to the bowl to aid in the process. I added a cup of the SUN Oxygen Bleach to each bar when I processed it. It seemed to help the blades do their job better.

years supply of laundry detergent  

My only other tip for this recipe has to do with the "mixing". Once you add everything, you have a LOT of ingredients to mix together. I decided to put it all in a kitchen garbage bag (doubled) and tumble it all together. Just tie it off tight and turn it over a handful of times and you're good to go! Now you have a nicely integrated batch of laundry detergent that should last a family of four ONE YEAR!

Since we are over the "family of four" limit, and I tend to think we have more dirty laundry than your AVERAGE family...I'm not expecting this to last a full year....but based on my initial use of this (2 Tablespoons per load)....it's going to last us a GOOD, LONG time! I did half a dozen loads of laundry with it before we left on vacation and was completely satisfied with the results! So much so that I'm planning on making TWO MORE BATCHES when I get home from vacation to give to my daughter AND my daughter-in-law. :-) Fun gift idea don't you think?

AudlyLuvly
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 part washing soda to 1 part peroxide, for adding to laundry detergent, I'd probably leave it at that, or add 2 parts hot water to pretreat the clothes, or as a booster.

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

How do you make your oxyclean?

Quoting AudlyLuvly:

i currently use this recipe, but get smell issues with my diapers, so im thinking of trying this recipe:

3 tbs homemade oxyclean

3 tbs washing soda

3 tbs dawn dishsoap

use a gallon sized container, add ingredients, add 4 cups boiling water, swirl til dissolved, fill container until almost full with water.

Aleewink
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I also make my own detergent, and we love it.  I use a similar recipe, but I use a bar of Dr. Bronners soap instead of the Fels because it has a lot of ingredients that I just don't like or know enough about.  I use vinegar and lavendar or lemongrass in the fabric softener dispenser and it works great!  I have even started using my own reusable "dryer sheets" just made out of old fabric and adding some essential oils to help the clothes come out smelling super wonderful!  That was the major worry from the hubby, that the clothes wouldn't smell as nice, but they actually smell much better now - even his awful undershirts from work!!

rjmac88
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I used to use this religiously on clothing and tide on diapers. But I found just having it in he machine at some point was really hurting my diapers so I had to put it on hold until I'm don't cloth diapering kids. I'm hoping another mama will post a good diaper safe recipe!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I used to make my own but it wasn't getting the diapers cleaned so I had to switch to tide.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I was having a similiar problem. I had to change to Tide for everything. I think it's because I have hard water. 

Quoting rjmac88:

I used to use this religiously on clothing and tide on diapers. But I found just having it in he machine at some point was really hurting my diapers so I had to put it on hold until I'm don't cloth diapering kids. I'm hoping another mama will post a good diaper safe recipe!!

Cafe Jenn
by Head Admin on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Really? I use it on my daughter's diapers all the time and we haven't had an issue except when the salt level gets low in the water softner.

Quoting rjmac88:

momofcrazypants
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I use a recipe that has borax, baking soda, washing soda, oxyclean and fels naptha (or other soap grated). I'm not sure of the ratios, but I know if you google it you will find it. It's very good. Even for a powder. Has gotten every stain that I've ran across out and doesn't bother DSs skin-he has eczema. You can add laundry crystals to it if needed for smells. But I think it smells good without it.

mewebb82
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I used this recipe for about 4 years. Like the pp, I had to stop because of cloth diapers. I found that the elastic on the legs was wearing out too fast and i read that borax can do that. I switched to Charlie's soap and that has been working great for us and on the diapers. I would love to go back to homemade when I'm done with diapers though.
mammafox
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM

This is definately a recipe I would try. As a matter fact I want to try and make my own laundry detergent this month.  I would like to have less dyes and etc in my laundry soap.  Besides the idea of saving money is great as well.

sj3starz
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I'm currently using All free and clear but would love to switch to a more natural detergent. I wouldn't use the above mentioned recipe because of how controversial borax is. If I could find one that doesn't use borax I may try it out.
trilliandent42
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I use store bought, but I have thought about making my own.  However, I would like a more earth friendly recipe.

Clubpenguin
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM
It would be hard for me to give up tide
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)