Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

OT but I love you guys...opinions? thoughts?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 23 Replies
SO my friend posted how horrible it is that sex education is taught in schools. Keep in mind we live in an abstinence only state, that has some of the highest STD and pregnancy rates in teens in the country..pretty sad huh? I told her its optional, you can sign forms for your child NOT to take sex ed and the child is not penalized for it in any way. I respect that many parents take care of this education at home and many religious beliefs vary so things should be taught different. The BIG argument she has is that theres a separation of church and state and that morals are not taught in school. SHe said that since we are a country created on CHristian values we should teach those values in public school...obviously she doesnt know her history when she quoted "One nation under god", which wasnt added to the pledge til 1948! SHe homeschools and it worries me that her kids will not have the correct info history wise about our country. This creates hatefulness and bigotry when kids do not understand that this country was created with FREEDOM of religion. That each person can believe what they want and can not be forced to believe things they do not. They can not be persecuted for what they believe. Sure teach your religion, that your religion is the right one and teach the morals and values of it, but also teach equality and correct beginnings of our country ARGH. I know AWESOME homeschooling parents that teach not only what they believe religion wise but also human anatomy so the kids know how the body works..like anatomy lessons. AND also teach correct US history.
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seabreeze9
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
I think the entire abstinence only program is horrid. I have read the text book for public schools and it is really sad. I disagree that kids should be taught it but since its each parents choice that's the way it goes. It makes me sad for these kids.

The school text book tells them to abstaine from making all bad choices and that mistakes are bad things. That is not a good way to raise fearful ignorant children. I was fuming mad when I read this book.

I do plan on homeschooling and my children will have an honest and complete education. They will know sex is fun and should be enjoyable but there are consequences and responsibilities that go along with those choices. By the time they leave my home they will know about birth control options how to put on a condom and to refuse sex if their potential partner won't be responsible. I have a daughter and it is my responsibility as her mother and a woman to empower her to know her body, to be responsible for it, and to give her the knowledge to choose to use it responsibly.

If she chooses to wait until she is married that is on her. I will give her the knowledge and trust her to use it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

i think abstinence only courses are a total fail.  they dont teach BASIC sex education.  they just say "dont do it".....well i am sorry but thats like telling my two year old not to push the red button and then walking away. 

its sad that people dont look at this as a biological issue instead of a religious issue.  teaching kids how the body works and what birth control methods are available so they can have sex safely when they choose too is not that hard to do. 

i am planning on teaching my boys from early on what sex is and what they can do to prevent pregnancy and the spread of std's.  but a lot of kids are not as lucky and their parents wont ever talk to them.  how are they ever supposed to get accurate information if no one is giving it to them?!

JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM
4 moms liked this
Personally, I think that sex Ed should be taught in science class and there should be no option to opt out. Do we let kids opt out of learning about the endocrine system? Or the digestive system? Why should the reproductive system be any different? Because kids might learn what a penis and a vagina do? Please.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM
4 moms liked this

SOOO glad you ladies are on the same page as me.  I mean I understand that its a touchy subject.  I HATE abstinence education!

Precious333
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Well, maybe i stand.in the.middle. i homeschool for many reason, one is so that i can be the one teaching my children.morals and value, and i would never allow my kids to be taught sex ed in school, however it does need to be taught! You cant just ignore the subject.

Second, hopefully she has a good history curriculum that she is using. She may have had a fact wrong, but i history in school.i remember being very one sided and ignoring important facts as well. I dont believe history in school has been very accurate as well. I am a.christain and when teaching history to my kids i dont try and glorify only the good facts of christianity, we also learn the history that includes the world, and other religions. They shouldnt live in a christianized/american bubble.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Yeah she doesnt use a curriculum really...she just kinda teaches what she believes to be right and thats it.  She thinks her kids should live in the bubble.  SOunds like you are oe of the GOOD homeschoolers I was talking about!

Quoting Precious333:

Well, maybe i stand.in the.middle. i homeschool for many reason, one is so that i can be the one teaching my children.morals and value, and i would never allow my kids to be taught sex ed in school, however it does need to be taught! You cant just ignore the subject.

Second, hopefully she has a good history curriculum that she is using. She may have had a fact wrong, but i history in school.i remember being very one sided and ignoring important facts as well. I dont believe history in school has been very accurate as well. I am a.christain and when teaching history to my kids i dont try and glorify only the good facts of christianity, we also learn the history that includes the world, and other religions. They shouldnt live in a christianized/american bubble.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Yeah, we definitely dont live in a bubble.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Yeah she doesnt use a curriculum really...she just kinda teaches what she believes to be right and thats it.  She thinks her kids should live in the bubble.  SOunds like you are oe of the GOOD homeschoolers I was talking about!

Quoting Precious333:

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM
When i was in school we had to take two semesters of health, one was general health and one was sex ed, no opting out it was mandatory to graduate. I also remember the crappy history books, luckily our teacher was smart and enchouraged us to get online and research any part of what she taught to get more info.

I do plan to homeschool and being Pagan it will be a way for me to keep my children away from the whole innaccuracy of America being founded on only Christain values and being able to teach to Pagan roots to so many things.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Not only do I not believe in abstinence only education, I don't believe in abstinence! It should be an option explained, but everything should be taught- anatomy, physiology, emotions, stds, babies, protection, bc... all of it.
There are a lot of things taught in school that I disagree with, but I don't make a stink, I just plan on explaining how I feel. That's how it should be.
It bothers me that some parents use sex Ed as a substitute for The Talk. (My The Talk with my mom went like this: "do you have any questions?" "No.")
But at the same time, it's clear that a lot of parents will not make the effort to have The Talk at all, and that's why I believe it's necessary in school, at least then they get something.

I don't know if that answers your question. But I do think your friend is dead wrong, and it's states like yours that make me fear for my children's generation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by Representative on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess I disagree to a point with both you and your friend.

I am a conservative Christian-haven't always been but as I get older and learn more, I lean more that way.

I believe in abstinence. I believe that sex was designed to be something beautiful, magical and awesome but within a marriage. I do understand that not everyone agrees with me. Heck, I didn't agree with myself until after I got married and started having kids myself

I do believe in teaching my kids about their bodies, what sex is and why I want them to chose to wait. It is ultimately their decision, just like it was mine.

I also think that the education should come from my husband and I and not from the school district. My 9 year old will get to take the beginner class of sex education next year (he'll be in 4th grade). We haven't decided if he'll take the class or not. I need to do some research first on what exactly is taught. Before that though, my husband will sit down with him and start discussing the changes that will start occuring with his body.

As for the history lesson...the country was founded on freedom from a set religion being set up like it was in England and other countries. The government cannot tell you what religion you must be. Many of the founding laws were based on the 10 commandments. They're not just a Christian religion thing. They can be found in other religions, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN