Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

UPDATE! really need advice on handling my doctor!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:02 AM
  • 23 Replies
I had my 39 week 5 day appointment today. -2 station, 50% effaced, dilated to a 2.

I want very much for this baby to come on her own, I want her to be ready, I DO NOT want to be induced or have a c-section unless its an emergency. But unless baby girl is here by my appointment next Thursday, my doctor will schedule my induction for the 27th or 28th, and I'll only be 41.0 or 41.1!

This is my first baby and I know they take longer most of the time anyway and also by using an alternative method for EDD calculations, I really don't think I'm due until the 25th anyway!

I told her I wanted to wait until later, until the next weekend to induce because I want to give baby a chance to come on her own and she told me NO! And why not? BECAUSE SHE'S NOT WORKING THAT NEXT WEEKEND. UGH.

So I have to do something I'm uncomfortable with because she's going out of town, despite the fact that I could go into labor right now and STILL not be garunteed to have my doctor deliver my baby!

Maybe I should still tell her no, and that if she's not here by that next weekend and I HAVE to induce, to schedule me with someone else.

Maybe she will just come on her own before the appointment, or before the scheduled induction.

So do you think I'm over reacting? I need some advice hardcore on this, because I don't believe in induction unless seriously necessary.

Thanks so much for all of your advice! I have decided to refuse the induction. My DH is with me 100%, which is great. A doctor is a doctor and they have to follow my birth plan no matter if its my doctor or the on-call doctor. Needless to say, I will NOT be using this doctor next time around.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure you'll get some words of wisdom from these ladies but I'm tired and all I got is: the doctor works for you. Stand your ground. Trust you body which sounds like you do. Good luck.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:11 AM
That's good advice. Go to the hospital when your labor starts, or go for stress tests. Don't be induced if you don't want to and there's no medical need for it. Getting induced based on a doctors work schedule is ridiculous. I've heard of it happening before and there's almost always complications because baby just wasn't ready yet.

Quoting jmaw89:

I'm sure you'll get some words of wisdom from these ladies but I'm tired and all I got is: the doctor works for you. Stand your ground. Trust you body which sounds like you do. Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Tell her no. Its your body your birth your the boss. You NEVER have to do anything and NEVER have to schedule an induction and if she schedules one you do not have to show up. Your not truly overdue till after 42 weeks.
littlelambe2
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the others. You are not technically overdue until you're past 42 weeks. Have twice weekly nst's to make sure baby is ok. If baby is fine and you are fine, NO REASON to induce. The doctor can't make you. Don't let yourself be pushed into an induction. Your body, your baby, your choice. Tell your doctor "no".

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Simple, stand your ground and tell her NO! She can not make you do anything, if you go into labor while she is out of town then you get a different dr. Sounds like you need one anyway!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

YOu tell her tough shit! excuse my language but you do not have to show for a scheduled induction...she can schedule whatever you want but you do NOT have to show up

RADmomma
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM
This is your body, your baby & your birth... It should happen when you're ready... Not because she won't be there. Too bad for her. I'm sure that she is not the only dr that can deliver in the entire hospital.

If she pushes you... Let her schedule the induction... Then just don't go. They can't force you into something you do not want. Just be strong, hold your ground and do what is right for your family.
isaacsmommy68
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM

This is just BAD PRACTICE! Doctors have standards that they have to adheir too. Scheduled inductions becasue of a doctors vacation schedule (or the patient's vacation schedule) is very bad practice. I cannot believe docs still do this. I would tell her that is horrible stadnard of care. Most practices frown apon this. Ask her what the medical diagnosis would be for this because your insurance will not cover it unless she has a VALID diagnosis. Good luck. Stand your ground.

charity987
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

YOu tell her tough shit! excuse my language but you do not have to show for a scheduled induction...she can schedule whatever you want but you do NOT have to show up

This happened with my last one. The midwife said "I can only let you go to 41 weeks & then I HAVE to schedule for an induction." I said "Do whatever you "HAVE" to do, but I won't be showing up. It's not like you're gonna come to my house & get me, right?" She said, "Yes. You are right."

Stand you ground. As long as baby is healthy & not in distress, your doctor's schedule is NO REASON to be induced. And believe me, I've been induced twice...you don't want anything to do with it!

larissalarie
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Yep.

There's no reason you "have" to be induced next weekend while she's gone either.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)