Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

milkscreen assessment UPDATE

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 34 Replies

Has anyone heard about this? From what I understand it's on sale at a few Targets and will be coming to other stores soon.

http://store.upspringbaby.com/product-p/msc-b.htm

UPDATE

The product is being discontinued!

http://www.milkscreen.com/mba-information

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Magnolia7
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I saw that in Target the other day when I was loading up with lasinoh and breast leakage pads.  Right next to the pads was this kit that said something like "are you making enough milk? Use this test"

My eyes almost rolled out of my head.  Right there in the breastfeeding supply aisle, a big old box to make moms doubt their abilities!

Magnolia7
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Ok, just went to read the description.  In theory I like the idea of women taking the assessment into their own hands.  On the other - pumping volume does not determine what a baby at the breast gets!  I think the old fashioned method of observing your baby is the best way to go, and it's free. :)

SadieJames
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I kind of want to do it just to see... I EBF Lily who has gone from 5 lb 6 oz at lowest recorded weight to around 13 lbs now at 3 1/2 months... Plus I pump ~32 oz a day (I only pump 2x and usually get ~14-18 oz).  I KNOW I have a massive oversupply.  Wonder what it would say?

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I can see how it would be interesting information to have. But at the same time I think it would easily cause an tired and stressed new mom who's already nursing around the clock to think she needs to supplement.

Quoting Magnolia7:

Ok, just went to read the description.  In theory I like the idea of women taking the assessment into their own hands.  On the other - pumping volume does not determine what a baby at the breast gets!  I think the old fashioned method of observing your baby is the best way to go, and it's free. :)

JadeTigr7
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM

This was immediately my thoughts.  Plus, how accurate is it?  If it's not accurate some poor new mom will probably end up giving up when they were doing fine.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I can see how it would be interesting information to have. But at the same time I think it would easily cause an tired and stressed new mom who's already nursing around the clock to think she needs to supplement.

Quoting Magnolia7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

LuvAZmomma
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I know that I did some research and it also takes into account baby's weight so I would assume that if baby is gaining appropriatly that it would say you produce enough. Not sure though.
Quoting JadeTigr7:

Emadele
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I saw it on a blog the other day. I think it's going to undermine those mommas that make just the right amount and those that don't respond to the pump. Counting diapers is more accurate than a 10$ test.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
hapababies
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:16 AM
4 moms liked this
I agree with your last sentence. Maybe I should come up with some "online analysis" that you input how many diapers you change a day and I'll charge $10 to tell you if you produce enough milk.

Quoting Emadele:

I saw it on a blog the other day. I think it's going to undermine those mommas that make just the right amount and those that don't respond to the pump. Counting diapers is more accurate than a 10$ test.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this

Its CRAP

kylienm
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Hi Ladies,

We have started a campaign against the brand Milkscreen and their Breastfeeding Testing Kit!  

We started a petition here and would really appreciate your support: https://www.change.org/petitions/target-remove-milkscreen-breastfeeding-assessment-test-from-store-shelves

We also have started a facebook page to keep everyone updated on our campaign:https://www.facebook.com/mothersagainstmilkscreen

We are also in contact with Target regarding the removal of the product from the shelves as well as the company who makes the testing kit.  We are keeping everyone updated with the progress on our facebook page!

Thanks for your support! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)