Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Gluten free shopping

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM
  • 15 Replies
So I figured this would be the best place to ask. Where is the best (cheapest) site to buy all the gluten free flours, xantham gum, and all that good stuff? My husband just recently has to eliminate gluten from his diet, so we are trying to find other things to make.

Thanks a ton!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I know our local grocery store has a giant gf section.  They put it all together in one spot which is super convinient since my FIL is gf.

MDWife12
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Honestly, we just go to our local grocery store. The gf mall has a ton of stuff, I havent ordered from them yet though, google it!
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Do you have a sprouts or sunflower? They have giant labels on everything that's gf. Probably not the cheapest shopping, but it sure is easy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM

bump

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Vitacost or Amazon.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Another option is to entirely eliminate grains, breads, pastas, etc. I've actually found that to be easier than try to replace everything with a gf substitute.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep, most commercial GF replacement foods (cereal, bread, etc) is full of pretty crappy ingredients.
I don't eat GF replacements often, but when I do I usually get them at the regular grocery store.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Another option is to entirely eliminate grains, breads, pastas, etc. I've actually found that to be easier than try to replace everything with a gf substitute.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ecp2009
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM
That what we are doing now. But it would be nice to have a "treat" every once in a while :) and I would rather make it then try to find something that we can both enjoy.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

VintageWife
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I'm not sure so here's a bump.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Here's a link:  http://www.glutenfreemama.com/

I use the coconut flour for my sweet baking, and the almond flour for savory foods.  (I'm sure you could do either, though).  Bob's Red Mill also has a large selection of GF products. 

No need for xanthum gum unless you're baking actual yeast bread...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)