Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Interesting read from Ina May

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

A local doula and birth asst to my midwife just got back from training at The Farm heres something they went over and shared

http://www.inamay.com/article/masking-maternal-mortality

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Oh dear heavens :( That's so sad. I can't believe the police couldn't be bothered to do a checkup on her. I wonder why she didn't have a follow up appt for at least the baby if not for herself? After my first, the nurses did a home visit because they were student nurses that had to do it for their clinicals.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Scary! I definitely had no follow up for me post birth until 6weeks pp. For the baby, yes, but not for me. This one will be delivered at a birth center and they check in at 24 hours after I return home, 2 days after that, then at 2 weeks and 6 weeks. I think. I may not have the time table exactly right. I thought it seemed like a lot but reading this it makes sense.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM
That is so scary! I had several post partum home visits
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAHM927
by Lesly on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Thank you for sharing this. I am hoping to leave the hospital early after our new bean comes, DH is a paramedic so he'll be able to keep an eye on me. I'll have to ask if they do home visits, that would be pretty convenient, but I'm thinking probably not.

katherinemcp
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I've seen this article before. Its such a sad story.

Many insurances are offering a home visit from nurses now, especially if mothers discharge early after birth, but they aren't required and there's nothing that can make the visit happen.

I had my dd#2 at a free standing birth center and we went home 3hours after she was born. But we had a ped followup the next evening, and my midwives came for a visit the day after, again 5 days later, and then at 2 weeks and 5 weeks. Much different than what we'll get this time with a 6 week follow up. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
How apalling! I never had a postpartum home check. 2 sections too :(
lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

This is so sad! I had two homebirths and my midwives checked on me multiple times!

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Sad :(

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I plan to have a homebirth this time, but its so sad that no one checked on this mom and everyone ignored she was "missing" even when the cops were sent to her house

Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Intentioned her in the Business of being born, right?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)