Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

issues with CDing

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM
  • 35 Replies
I just started cloth diapering a little over a week ago (despite my hubby being 100% against it) and right now I am so frustrated. So far it has been fine washing the dipes every other day and there really hasn't been any stink until today. I've washed the wetbags and load of dipes about 4 times today and they still smell to me. I don't know if maybe its b/c I actually have done cloth for nighttime the past 2 nights, and maybe the hemp doubler is holding onto the pee smell? I have no idea but I will be so sad if my dh was right and I just wasted money trying to be better on the environment and on our budget in the long run. Also I am so confused about what is and isn't safe to use as laundry detergent and I really want to stick with homemade stuff. I have been so excited about going more natural and today I just want to cry because I feel like its going to backfire and my dh is not supportive of this at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rjmac88
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM
If they still smell after being washed you aren't using enough soap
rjmac88
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM
2 moms liked this
You are only one week in. There is a learning curve
katiesing
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I use charlies soap. I really like it I always do a extra rinse because i read some bad reviews online about it leaving rashes. I havent had any problems with stink since starting I used eco's before and i do not reccomend it. I had tons of ammonia build up.

May-mom
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Your right I'm sure I wasn't using enough today, I just got so paranoid b/c I read that every ingredient in my diy laundry soap is bad for cloth diapers! (Fels naptha, washing soda, and borax).

Quoting rjmac88:

rjmac88
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Oh yeah I had a lot of trouble with that stuff! The felz builds up and the borax tore then up. Some people have great luck. I had to switch to tide and oxyclean and I use the FULL amount.

Quoting May-mom:

Your right I'm sure I wasn't using enough today, I just got so paranoid b/c I read that every ingredient in my diy laundry soap is bad for cloth diapers! (Fels naptha, washing soda, and borax).

Quoting rjmac88:

SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

If I were you I would use commercially available soap until I got cloth diapering "down".  I use Ecos clear and haven't had a problem.  Do you have an HE machine or a top loader?  Are you pre rinse, wash then rinse then second rinse?

hapababies
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
This definitely sounds like a detergent issue. Go ahead and switch to a commercial detergent for now. Some thing to watch out for with commercial detergents is optical brightners. They cause build up and stink issues. I have many mamas swear by tide with the blue cap. My personal go to is Country Save or Bumgenius detergent (they are the same chemical make up, just it's more difficult to find country save around here).
You may need to do a bunch of rinses to get your buildup out of your diapers. Also, join a cloth diapering group here in cm. You will learn a ton from them and get the support you aren't getting from your dh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM
It sounds like detergent causing it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
May-mom
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM
So they do mess up the dipes? Damn that's what I was afraid of! Guess I'm gonna have to get special soap just for washing the diapers :/

Quoting rjmac88:

Oh yeah I had a lot of trouble with that stuff! The felz builds up and the borax tore then up. Some people have great luck. I had to switch to tide and oxyclean and I use the FULL amount.

Quoting May-mom:

Quoting rjmac88:

rjmac88
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Yeah it's not terrible though. A box of ride lasts me months and months

Quoting May-mom:

So they do mess up the dipes? Damn that's what I was afraid of! Guess I'm gonna have to get special soap just for washing the diapers :/

Quoting rjmac88:

Quoting May-mom:

Quoting rjmac88:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)