Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'Homemade Cleaners' - 'Share your cleaning recipe'

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:54 AM
  • 50 Replies
2 moms liked this

Today is share your cleaning recipe day!

What homemade cleaners do you use? What makes you use homemade cleaners over store bought ones-costs? more environmentally friendly? more family/kid friendly? Are there any ingredients you tend to stay away from?

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moms_Angels1960
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM
I mostly use vinegar &water for cleaning ,homemade fabric softner & homemade laundry soap .
Fabric softner I use vinegar&condtioner .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
starrseed
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

We use homemade cleaners as a way to save money & keep harsh chemicals out of the house as much as possible. My all-purpose cleaner is half water, half white vinegar, a couple of squeezed lemons, and 20-30 drops of tea tree oil. I use vinegar & dawn to clean our showers ( I need a new recipe for that, I know dawn has a couple of unsavory ingredients). I make my son's cloth diaper detergent from equal parts oxiclean, washing soda & baking soda. I've found white vinegar to be magic around the house!

JocelynsMama1
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM

so far i only make homemade homemade febreeze...but i want to start making homemade dishwashing soap and laundry detergent

rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM

vinegar and water, vinegar and baking soda-sometimes add EOs

We do it to save money and because they are safer.  We stay away from a lot of conventional ingredients.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I make a mix with half vinegar, half water and 2 tblspns of Dr. Bronner's tea tree oil soap. Sometimes I will had a few drops of other essential oils. I use this for everything. I use baking soda to scrub the tubs and showers.
I make my own cleaners because I don't like cleaning with toxic chemicals, they are earth friendly and very cheap to make.
The ingredients I stay away from are the ones that are toxic and there are so many but bleach is a big one. I also do not believe that you need a lot of ingredients to keep yoir house clean.
sj3starz
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I user vinegar water with tto for almost everything. I do add baking soda to sinks and such before scrubbing. Toilet bowl is just vinegar.

I ready don't need anything else. It cleans everything! I love it for the stove especially since it's made from natural non-flammable ingredients. Lol. Maybe it's my irrational side but I had always been worried about catching fire with store bought cleaners.

I don't use store bought cleaners except for my detergents (dish and clothes), and stain removers (clothes and carpet)
mewebb82
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Mostly I use vinegar, water, baking soda, lemons, and essential oils. I love lemon halves and salt in the tub. The salt acts as a mild abrasive and the acid in the lemon cuts down soap scum and smells great. I like these cleaners because my teething baby can put his mouth on anything in my home without harm, but the environmental factor was why we started.
AudlyLuvly
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I mostly use vinegar and/or baking soda for everything.
Godspitgrl
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

mainly we just use vinager and baking soda

Ladybugmama86
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM

So far I just make laundry detergent, but I now have the ing. to make most of these cleaners. I still need to find somewhere to get eos and tto and then I will be able to make all my own cleaners.

I think they are a lot cheaper and much better not only for your family and home but for the enviroment.

BabyFruit Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)