Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How natural was/will your birth be?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 43 Replies

Will you...

refuse medical induction (use natural induction if needed)?

only consider induction if baby is at risk or once you hit 42 weeks?

delay cord clamping?

have baby handed to you right after birth and hold baby skin to skin for atleast an hour (if health allows)?

have a natural labor with no pain killers or epidural?

have a home birth?

have a homebirth without a midwife or doctor?

if using a hospital will you labor at home as long as posible?

Any other natural things you are planning on?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newwifenmom
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 3kidz123:

Will you...

refuse medical induction (use natural induction if needed)? Tried this and failed

only consider induction if baby is at risk or once you hit 42 weeks? Only induced bc he was at risk at 38.5 weeks

delay cord clamping? I was not knowledgable about this at the time

have baby handed to you right after birth and hold baby skin to skin for atleast an hour (if health allows)? It was not possible

have a natural labor with no pain killers or epidural? I tried to but LO's heart rate was dropping so they had to get him out

have a home birth? I didn't even qualify for this

have a homebirth without a midwife or doctor? I'm not brave enough for this even without medical issues lol

if using a hospital will you labor at home as long as posible? It wasn't safe for me to do so

Any other natural things you are planning on? I did BF as soon as possible but the rest of my plan went to hell

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Will you...

Yes.

Yes

delay cord clamping?
yes

have baby handed to you right after birth and hold baby skin to skin for atleast an hour (if health allows)?
Yes. Attempted breast crawl as well, but it didn't work out. It was cool to see her try though

Yes. My pain killer was the tub

have a home birth?
No, due to financial restrictions

No

Yes. But that ended up being less than two hours.

Did not birth on my back, refused all cervical checks until active labor, refused internal monitoring, ate (or would have had I had anytime to), no hep lock, used EOs, refused all shots and meds for baby...

It's probably be easier to list the UNnatural things I did (the second time, anyway)!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Quoting 3kidz123:

Will you...

refuse medical induction (use natural induction if needed)? Yes

only consider induction if baby is at risk or once you hit 42 weeks? Yes

delay cord clamping? Yes

have baby handed to you right after birth and hold baby skin to skin for atleast an hour (if health allows)? Yes

have a natural labor with no pain killers or epidural? Yes

have a home birth? No, but I am delivering in a free standing birth center not a hospital.

have a homebirth without a midwife or doctor? Not unless she comes super fast

if using a hospital will you labor at home as long as posible? No. I'm not delivering in a hospital but even if I was I would head down there as soon as I thought I was in labor. I might walk the grounds and not check in to L&D right away, but my last labor was under 90 min from the first contraction to baby all the way out. I'm not risking having a baby in the car. I can only be at the birth center in labor for 24 hours, but they have a really nice walking path behind the center, so if for some reason we think it will be a little while, I can walk outside before officially being there. I don't think that will be an issue though.

Any other natural things you are planning on? Placenta encapsulation, no EFM or internal monitoring, no IV, no hep B, vitamin k or eye goop for the baby

AudlyLuvly
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I refused medications, labored at home/in the car (40 min drive to hospital), held him naked as long as possible (he had breathing issues, probably because I forgot to request delayed cord clamping, along with the cord being wrapped around his neck)

We refused all shots, until he kept spitting up blood.... then allowed him to get vit. K, which stopped the bleeding. No circumcision, or other procedures for baby. We were at the hospital for only 24 hours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Whats a breast crawl?

I'm trying to put my dream birth plan together and then of course my back up when all goes to hell plan. lol

Quoting jellyphish:

Will you...

Yes.

Yes

delay cord clamping?
yes

Yes. Attempted breast crawl as well, but it didn't work out. It was cool to see her try though

have a home birth?

No

Did not birth on my back, refused all cervical checks until active labor, refused internal monitoring, ate (or would have had I had anytime to), no hep lock, used EOs, refused all shots and meds for baby...

It's probably be easier to list the UNnatural things I did (the second time, anyway)!

3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I never thought of getting there and walking around before checking in...that's a good idea :)

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting 3kidz123:

Will you...

refuse medical induction (use natural induction if needed)? Yes

only consider induction if baby is at risk or once you hit 42 weeks? Yes

delay cord clamping? Yes

have baby handed to you right after birth and hold baby skin to skin for atleast an hour (if health allows)? Yes

have a natural labor with no pain killers or epidural? Yes

have a home birth? No, but I am delivering in a free standing birth center not a hospital.

have a homebirth without a midwife or doctor? Not unless she comes super fast

if using a hospital will you labor at home as long as posible? No. I'm not delivering in a hospital but even if I was I would head down there as soon as I thought I was in labor. I might walk the grounds and not check in to L&D right away, but my last labor was under 90 min from the first contraction to baby all the way out. I'm not risking having a baby in the car. I can only be at the birth center in labor for 24 hours, but they have a really nice walking path behind the center, so if for some reason we think it will be a little while, I can walk outside before officially being there. I don't think that will be an issue though.

Any other natural things you are planning on? Placenta encapsulation, no EFM or internal monitoring, no IV, no hep B, vitamin k or eye goop for the baby

3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I thought about skipping the circ if it's a boy but some of them look weird depending on the child and I just don't want to do that to him. I know it's vain but my other sons had it done so I'd want his to look pretty too. lol

I will try and be at the hospital for a limited amount of time though :)

Quoting AudlyLuvly:

I refused medications, labored at home/in the car (40 min drive to hospital), held him naked as long as possible (he had breathing issues, probably because I forgot to request delayed cord clamping, along with the cord being wrapped around his neck)

We refused all shots, until he kept spitting up blood.... then allowed him to get vit. K, which stopped the bleeding. No circumcision, or other procedures for baby. We were at the hospital for only 24 hours.

AudlyLuvly
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
It was really a pros and cons thing.. plus I didn't want to injur or cause any more trauma to the already traumatic experience of being born. Plus, I'm sure I would have had to pay out of pocket since it's no longer recommended for all baby boys, and no matter how "nice" it would look, I'm just not paying for a cosmetic procedure on my newborn son.

Quoting 3kidz123:

I thought about skipping the circ if it's a boy but some of them look weird depending on the child and I just don't want to do that to him. I know it's vain but my other sons had it done so I'd want his to look pretty too. lol

I will try and be at the hospital for a limited amount of time though :)

Quoting AudlyLuvly:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Baby immediately gets put on your chest, but not breast. (s)he will crawl to your breast and latch on perfectly. You can YouTube it.

Please consider leaving your boy intact, at least research it. Let him decide for himself if his body looks weird, he can always decide to do it later. circumcisiondecisionmaker.com is a great source of info- the only I've found that is strictly medical, no deragatory language or bias, just fact. And remember, regardless of what's in their diapers, your boys are going to look different from each other.
Quoting 3kidz123:

Whats a breast crawl?

I'm trying to put my dream birth plan together and then of course my back up when all goes to hell plan. lol

Quoting jellyphish:

Will you...

Yes.

Yes

delay cord clamping?

yes

have a home birth?

No

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Now that I read what jellyphish said, I also didn't/won't birth on my back, didn't/will not have cervical checks, will eat or drink what I want (with my youngest the ice chips were the only thing I wanted in my mouth) and I'll wear my own clothes. I'm having a girl, but if we had a boy he would not be circumcised.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)