Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

GBS question

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM
  • 25 Replies

I was GBS positive with 3 of my last 4 babies. With my last 2 it was detected early in my pregnancy in my urine. So far, I have not tested positive for this one and it is unlikely they are going to test my urine again. I have seen several posts about moms treating prophylactically at home in order to "beat" the GBS screen initially, or after having tested positive the first time to clear it up in order to test negative on the rescreen, or to treat to avoid the anitbiotics in labor. But is that for mom's benefit to not have to deal with arguing with the hospital about the antibiotics or is it actually beneficial/important to the health of the baby?

I'm delivering in a free standing birth center and I have the option to skip the screen all together or I can do the screen and then decide based on my results decide whether or not I want the antibiotics. I already know I'm not going to do the antibiotics. However, is there a benefit to doing the screening? If I am positive for GBS is it important for the safety of the baby to treat the GBS? I know your GBS status can change between screening and delivery too, so even if I test negative at 36 weeks or whenever they do it, I could still be positive at delivery. Should I just treat for GBS at like 39 weeks regardless and skip the screening? 

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I chose not to do the swab screening, and I opted not to have antibiotics in my hospital birth.

Depending on when you're screened, your status could very well change before the birth of your child. 

JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Did you do any natural treatments before delivery? I know the status could change, which is why I will likely skip the screening. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is are the natural treatments primarily so mom tests negative or is there actual benefit to the baby?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I chose not to do the swab screening, and I opted not to have antibiotics in my hospital birth.

Depending on when you're screened, your status could very well change before the birth of your child. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM

No, I didn't do any natural treatments before delivery.  Actually I didn't even give it another thought.  The statistic of being positive is 30%, and the chance of a baby being affected is quite low. 

We monitored carefully.

At a birth center delivery, you can opt for a hibiclens rinse during delivery, or you can opt for a water birth.  Both of which are said to lessen transmission.

Quoting JMmama:

Did you do any natural treatments before delivery? I know the status could change, which is why I will likely skip the screening. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is are the natural treatments primarily so mom tests negative or is there actual benefit to the baby?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM
I have been positive for my last three babies so I figure that probably increases the chances I will be positive again if I get the screening. A water birth isn't really something I'm interested in. If it happens it happens but it isn't something I'm planning on. When you say monitored carefully I assume you mean baby after birth? Maybe I will talk to the midwife about the hibicleanse. I'm not worried enough to do antibiotics but I don't want to underestimate any problems either.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

No, I didn't do any natural treatments before delivery.  Actually I didn't even give it another thought.  The statistic of being positive is 30%, and the chance of a baby being affected is quite low. 

We monitored carefully.

At a birth center delivery, you can opt for a hibiclens rinse during delivery, or you can opt for a water birth.  Both of which are said to lessen transmission.

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Magnolia7
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are positive there is a 0.5% chance the baby could become ill from GBS infection. 

I personally would not choose to test.  I would instead take a lot of probiotics, eat healthy, breastfeed and watch my baby closely the first couple of days.

tyrelsmom
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
The natural treatments are to lower or eliminate any levels of GBS infection. It's not to "cheat" the test. Which is why you keep it up until birth, or if you do the hibiclens, you do it before the test AND when you go into labor. So there can definitely be benefit to baby.

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

There are natural ways to treat without antibiotics..I would get the test run and treat myself.  My midwife has Hibacleanse I think its called for me to use before birth

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Quoting Magnolia7:

If you are positive there is a 0.5% chance the baby could become ill from GBS infection. 

I personally would not choose to test.  I would instead take a lot of probiotics, eat healthy, breastfeed and watch my baby closely the first couple of days.

So if 30% of women are positive, there is a 0.5% chance of a 30% chance the baby might become ill from GBS. 

So that's a 0.15% chance of everybody, right? 

Is my math correct here?  That 3 babies in every 2000 "might" become ill from GBS?

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

It can be useful knowledge in case you need to transfer to the hospital. If you have unknown GBS status, it's routine to give abx to the baby.

Magnolia7
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Also, the antibiotics fail to prevent infection in 30% of the neonate early infections .....

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Magnolia7:

So if 30% of women are positive, there is a 0.5% chance of a 30% chance the baby might become ill from GBS. 

So that's a 0.15% chance of everybody, right? 

Is my math correct here?  That 3 babies in every 2000 "might" become ill from GBS?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)