Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Nebraska birthing options SUCK!

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 31 Replies

When I was 19 and got pregnant with my son, I was very naive to my options and what I did and didn't want.  I ended up getting induced at 38 weeks because I was SUPER swollen...BP was slightly elevated and had minimal protein in my urine (BP was literally like 4 over both top and bottom of what my dr wanted), went in to the hospital the next morning to be induced and BP was perfect, there was no protein...  I didn't really question anything that was done, just went with it.  The only thing I fought was the epidural, however, I spent my ENTIRE 36 hours of what turned into a failed induction stuck in bed - no tub, no birthing ball, no walking...NOTHING.  After 5 doses of cytotec, constant pitocin and back to back contractions for over 32 hours (and my dr broke my water at only 1.5 dilated)...caved at 34 hours and got the epidural since my doctor convinced me it might speed up my labor and if not, I needed it for my csection anyways.  Ended in a csection after 36 long hours confined to bed.

Now, I'm wanting to do a VBAC, but really want to use a midwife.  Home birth isn't even an option because midwives aren't allowed to attend home births.  We have ONE birthing center, I got my hopes up because it's right by me...turns out I can't labor and deliver there because of a csection - okay, figured I could deal...at least I'd have a midwife to work with.  Nope...not that either.  They're not taking any new VBACs right now either, which puts me right back at having a doctor again..

I'm super bummed that now I'm having to completely reframe my thinking...  They were able to luckily refer me over to a doctor, same doctor that is acting medical director and oversees their birthing center deliveries.  I was also given a list for doulas...looks like I'm gonna end up finding a doula and laboring as long as possible at home - the last thing I feel like going through is what I did with my son..  I got SOOO irritated being asked over and over if I wanted an epidural - if I repeatedly say NO, I will ask if I want one, don't offer it again you'd think they could back off..

Just feeling really defeated with the lack of options in the state...especially since this midwife I was wanting to go to at the birthing center has phenomenial VBAC rates!

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM
How close are you to a state line? Maybe you could find a birth center or home birth midwife to deliver you if you can drive outta state?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Are you in Omaha? We just moved to Bellevue and I'm being seen by Heather at Midwife's Place. Did they refer you to Dr Finley? If it is any consolation, I have heard wonderful things about him and Bellevue Medical Center. Are you a part of Omaha Area Natural Parents?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
singlemama0905
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:37 AM
yeah, I actually went into midwife's place today for blood work because my hpts keep bouncing back and.forth between negative and positive. I'm almost positive it's gonna come back.positive, but my so and I wanted an answer instead of this back and forth.

they did refer me over to dr. finley. the nurse told.me his.vbac rate is really high and she highlighted doulas she'd highly recommend for me.

just frustrating since I really don't even want a hospital delivery...I'd actually love to do a water birth. bums me out.

and no.I'm not, I'll have to check into that!

Quoting JMmama:

Are you in Omaha? We just moved to Bellevue and I'm being seen by Heather at Midwife's Place. Did they refer you to Dr Finley? If it is any consolation, I have heard wonderful things about him and Bellevue Medical Center. Are you a part of Omaha Area Natural Parents?
singlemama0905
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:40 AM
I'm about half an hour from Iowa. Not sure what their laws are, I've thought about checking into that option, but with 4 kids and not knowing if we'll have 1 or all of em, closer to home would be best for us..

Quoting larissalarie:

How close are you to a state line? Maybe you could find a birth center or home birth midwife to deliver you if you can drive outta state?
JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM
I totally understand your disappointment. I would be frustrated in your shoes and well.

Dr Finley is my kids' pediatrician. He came recommended to me by a midwife friend of mine who used to be here in Omaha but has since moved to Minnesota. He seems very naturally minded and my friend would not have recommended him to me if she thought he would push mainstream ideas on someone clearly not interested.

I have heard rumors that there are midwives that work underground and will do homebirths, but I don't know any and I have no idea how to find one. OANP moms who have been here longer than me might though. You can find them on Facebook, btw. I think they have a website too.

There does seem to be a lot of active doulas, so hopefully you find someone you click with. I'm meeting with one on Wednesday and I'm kind of nervous about it!

Quoting singlemama0905:

yeah, I actually went into midwife's place today for blood work because my hpts keep bouncing back and.forth between negative and positive. I'm almost positive it's gonna come back.positive, but my so and I wanted an answer instead of this back and forth.

they did refer me over to dr. finley. the nurse told.me his.vbac rate is really high and she highlighted doulas she'd highly recommend for me.

just frustrating since I really don't even want a hospital delivery...I'd actually love to do a water birth. bums me out.

Quoting JMmama:

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I had a very similar first birth experience as you:  failed induction due to pre-e and 30 hours of laboring before I was sectioned.  This was 2 years ago this month.

Three months ago, I had a VBAC that I really, REALLY had to work for.  My midwife went in for surgery, so I had to transfer to another midwife at 35 weeks.  Then I risked out of her care at 42 weeks due to high blood pressure (but no swelling or headaches like my first birth!).  DH drove me and DS 400 miles across two state lines to a VBAC friendly hosptial where I had an induction due to Gestational Hypertension at 42.1

It wasn't easy, but I certainly wouldn't roll over for the c-section the OBs wanted me to have up here!

You CAN do this mama!  Take one day at a time, and never be afraid to keep changing practitioners until you find one who is supportive of your decision.

(And if you need a bit of inspiration, come over to VBAC Moms to read some of the awesome success stories!  There are quite a few women having their VBACs in the next couple of months, so jump on in!)

singlemama0905
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I struggled a ton after my csection because I felt like I just gave in to everything I wanted just cuz the doctor said so. I was that annoying woman in my hospital run birthing class that I'm sure they wanted to duct tape my.mouth shut half the time.. I always had so many questions and opinions in regards to natural delivery. My OB was great, but I realized after that it really is all about their convenience. I was so drugged up by the time I made it out of recovery (almost 5 hrs later) and finally got to hold my son, I don't remember a damn thing. I even slept through my csection almost completely.

I'll definitely have to come check out the vbac group!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I had a very similar first birth experience as you:  failed induction due to pre-e and 30 hours of laboring before I was sectioned.  This was 2 years ago this month.

Three months ago, I had a VBAC that I really, REALLY had to work for.  My midwife went in for surgery, so I had to transfer to another midwife at 35 weeks.  Then I risked out of her care at 42 weeks due to high blood pressure (but no swelling or headaches like my first birth!).  DH drove me and DS 400 miles across two state lines to a VBAC friendly hosptial where I had an induction due to Gestational Hypertension at 42.1

It wasn't easy, but I certainly wouldn't roll over for the c-section the OBs wanted me to have up here!

You CAN do this mama!  Take one day at a time, and never be afraid to keep changing practitioners until you find one who is supportive of your decision.

(And if you need a bit of inspiration, come over to VBAC Moms to read some of the awesome success stories!  There are quite a few women having their VBACs in the next couple of months, so jump on in!)

singlemama0905
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:02 AM
that's definitively good to hear. I'm really mixed in my.beliefs between mainstream and natural parenting ideas. a lot of my beliefs fall outside of mainstream, but I also do fall in with some of the mainstream.. and it's changed a lot since I had my son and have educated myself wayy more

Quoting JMmama:

I totally understand your disappointment. I would be frustrated in your shoes and well.

Dr Finley is my kids' pediatrician. He came recommended to me by a midwife friend of mine who used to be here in Omaha but has since moved to Minnesota. He seems very naturally minded and my friend would not have recommended him to me if she thought he would push mainstream ideas on someone clearly not interested.

I have heard rumors that there are midwives that work underground and will do homebirths, but I don't know any and I have no idea how to find one. OANP moms who have been here longer than me might though. You can find them on Facebook, btw. I think they have a website too.

There does seem to be a lot of active doulas, so hopefully you find someone you click with. I'm meeting with one on Wednesday and I'm kind of nervous about it!

Quoting singlemama0905:

Quoting JMmama:

JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:05 AM
I can understand that! This is baby 5 for me and it has definitely been a gradual progression to a more natural process. My first birth was a totally medical, epidural, pitocin induction essentially for the convenience of my doctor and now here we are at baby 5 in a birthing center, lol.

Quoting singlemama0905:

that's definitively good to hear. I'm really mixed in my.beliefs between mainstream and natural parenting ideas. a lot of my beliefs fall outside of mainstream, but I also do fall in with some of the mainstream.. and it's changed a lot since I had my son and have educated myself wayy more

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting singlemama0905:

Quoting JMmama:

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you checked out ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) in your area?  They'll have a pretty good grasp of the VBAC situation in your area, and you can likely get more information by attending a meeting and speaking to some of the women in person...  Plus they're a great source of information regarding the safety of VBAC vs. repeat section.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)