Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Testing your own sugar

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 8 Replies
Rather than doing the traditional glucose test, the practice I am going to is allowing me to test my own blood sugar. I have to 4x a day for two weeks. Have any of you ladies done this? Are there any foods I should really avoid while I'm testing? I've never had blood sugar issues not pregnant, or in my previous pregnancy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MegMonsterMomma
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM

bump, I'm going to do this as well and I'd love to hear about it!

Wheepingchree
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Bump
Wheepingchree
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Bump
Wheepingchree
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Bump
rachelrothchild
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Avoid simple carbs.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I'd avoid carbs and sugars. I'm glad you have this option :)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM

bump

tansyflower
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

i did this with two pregnancies.  make sure you eat something high in protien right before you go to bed.  this will ensure your fasting blood sugar is low.  also make sure you eat something high in protien and fat for breakfast because you are most insulin resistant in the am.  make sure to wash your hand in really hot soap water and allow them to dry for 5 minutes before you test....anything left on the sking like soap, water or lotion can totally skew your results.  lance yourself deeply enough that you can use the 2nd or third drop of blood since the first drop will contain oil from your skin as it pushes through the outer layer of dermis.  if you cant get a decent amount of blood to test using the 2nd or 3rd drop them set your lancet deeper.  its much easier to do your blood draws if you stay weel hydrated so keep that in mind and make sure you drink enoug water or else your blood will be very thick. 

also avoid eating a lot of carbs if you can, simple and complex. that includes things like fruit and whole grains. a couple of portions a day is fine, but you might want to skip eating a carb with breakfast for instance.  if you do eat a carb heavy meal make sure you also eat a large amount of fiber, protien and fat with the meal so your sugar levels dont spike.  i would drink metamusil 30 minutes before meals to make sure i had enough fiber to slow the sugar spike. 

and skip the one hour test...its not nearly as accurate as testing two hours after each meal.  hope that info helps :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN