Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Get lead and iron test done on my 20 month old. I told her not concerned about her lead but she says that since she is still breastfed and no milk iron is a concern. Im not concerned. Thoughts?
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Replies (21-28):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM
This is a strange phenomenon! My first didn't even notice her heel pricks or blood draws for a long time. It was the strangest thing, shed just sit there and smile.
The Little is far more sensitive though, and ugh! Thank gawd they just tested her iron levels with a toe stick, even that was torture for her. :(

Quoting littlelambe2:

I would definitely do the iron test. Some babies are fine with it and don't even flinch. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM

The nurse that did the iron test on my eldest just kept talking and making faces and dd didn't even notice! My nephew just had his down (blood draw) and he didn't cry at all. It's a little odd, isn't it!

Quoting jellyphish:

This is a strange phenomenon! My first didn't even notice her heel pricks or blood draws for a long time. It was the strangest thing, shed just sit there and smile.
The Little is far more sensitive though, and ugh! Thank gawd they just tested her iron levels with a toe stick, even that was torture for her. :(

Quoting littlelambe2:

I would definitely do the iron test. Some babies are fine with it and don't even flinch. 

Baby4us09
by Rebecca on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM
No kidding right. Our insurance was taken over, nice part is that it is cheaper now. I haven't received anything yet from when they will in the future.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Does your insurance send out incentives? We keep getting offers of being entered for ipads and xboxes if we get them done. Gotta love procedures that are so great you have bribe people to get them done!

Lynette
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM

unless you see signs of anemia I wouldn't get the iron test.  Instead look up iron rich foods and up those in the diet.

I wouldn't test lead unless you live in or regularly visit homes or buildings built before 1978. These buildings may have lead-based paint. The risk is even higher in buildings built before 1950, when lead-based paint was more commonly used.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM
First BM HAS IRON, COWS MILK DOESNT!!! In fact cows milk causes anemia!! Second theres no real problem with testing theiron but it is NOT an issue because of BFing and no cows milk!
kfrog13
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM
If they are recommending lead, you might be living in an area where lead levels tend to be high. I would get the lead test just to be sure. Lead poisoning is not something to mess with and can cause developmental delays. Also, if you are in a lead heavy area, even mild iron anemia should be identified as low iron makes lead poisoning more likely.
BaileysMom9
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I'd get it checked.  It's really only a little finger prick, and then at least you'll know.  My oldest never had issues, but my middle son was slightly anaemic.  I think we finally linked his to gluten sensitivity.  He just wasn't digesting food as he should.  I think it's a good idea to get checked out since it's not completely uncommon for young children and toddlers to be anaemic.  At least then you could adjust their diet if necessary.

sm12
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

With regards to testing for iron, breastfed babies usually have enough iron to last them the first year but also if you did delayed cord clamping then for sure baby will have enough iron.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)