Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Emu Oil

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 9 Replies

(PIOG)

I purchased some Emu Oil yesterday to have on hands in case of burns.

But I got to wondering if I can use it as a Carrier Oil for essential oils...  I'm new to the whole EO thing and am not sure if they'd go together or not...

Input?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Not sure but I have been using a emu oil shampoo bar with EOs of rosemary and mint in it, kinda the same thing?   

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Theoretically yes. But whether it's effective depends on the size of the molecules.
If its like lanolin (sheep oil), then the molecules are too large to absorb into the skin, so it and the EOs will just sit there.
I don't know if they're too big or not. But you can put some on your skin and wait. If it absorbs, great! If it sits there forever, the EOs aren't going to do anything but smell nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Quoting jellyphish:

Theoretically yes. But whether it's effective depends on the size of the molecules.
If its like lanolin (sheep oil), then the molecules are too large to absorb into the skin, so it and the EOs will just sit there.
I don't know if they're too big or not. But you can put some on your skin and wait. If it absorbs, great! If it sits there forever, the EOs aren't going to do anything but smell nice.

Thanks, I'll try a sample smear of the Emu Oil.

Can you tell me why putting EOs directly on the skin would be a bad thing?  (Specifically Clove put on the neck muscles to aid in blood thinning...).  Like I said, I'm super new to EOs.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
EOs are VERY potent, for Ex one drop of peppermint oil equals 25 cups of peppermint tea. They are simply too powerful to use neat (with few exception), and you don't need to. It'd be like using an entire bottle of dawn to wash a mug, when you only need a spoonful to wash a sink full of dishes!
Specifically, clove oil is very irritating to the skin when undiluted and could burn you, and the neck is more sensitive than other parts of your body as well, so double whammy. If you want to get scientific, clove oil is high in phenols which is a skin irritant.
Diluting the EOs does not lessen their therapeutic value at all, of that's a concern there's no worry there.

I hope that helps!
Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting jellyphish:

Thanks, I'll try a sample smear of the Emu Oil.

Can you tell me why putting EOs directly on the skin would be a bad thing?  (Specifically Clove put on the neck muscles to aid in blood thinning...).  Like I said, I'm super new to EOs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Looks like you already got some answers :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

hmm I dont know much about EO so heres a bump

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM

IDK.. jellyphish would be your expert on this! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Thanks for the explanation...  The way you put it makes sense. 

There's so much involved in EOs!  Maybe you can tell me a good "recipe" book that would give me a sound basis.  Are there any big names in EO that I should follow?

So much I find online doesn't go into the specifics of HOW a particular EO can be used--they just say that they CAN be used.  For example, how many drops of an EO should I use in a bath?  (I don't want to use tooo much and waste it, but I don't want to not use enough, either!)

Also, I've only purchased Aura Cacia because that's all that my local store carries...  They're much cheaper than doTerra and Young Living, so do they work the same?

TIA!

Quoting jellyphish:

EOs are VERY potent, for Ex one drop of peppermint oil equals 25 cups of peppermint tea. They are simply too powerful to use neat (with few exception), and you don't need to. It'd be like using an entire bottle of dawn to wash a mug, when you only need a spoonful to wash a sink full of dishes!
Specifically, clove oil is very irritating to the skin when undiluted and could burn you, and the neck is more sensitive than other parts of your body as well, so double whammy. If you want to get scientific, clove oil is high in phenols which is a skin irritant.
Diluting the EOs does not lessen their therapeutic value at all, of that's a concern there's no worry there.

I hope that helps!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:37 AM
I always recommend Julia lawless Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aromatherapy as a beginner book. I have a dozen books and it's still a top reference for me, but it's easy to read and very basic yet thorough. Just make sure you heed the warnings.

I'm not a fan of aura cacia, but if that's all that's available to you, get the organic stuff- I believe it's their round bottles. YL and doterra are great quality oils, much better than AC, but way over priced because they are pyramid marketing. www.mountainroseherbs.com has great quality oils that are not over priced, I recommend them for sure.
I'm also very happy to answer any questions you have, definitely feel free to ask me, I love this stuff!

For baths, just make sure you don't drops oils in neat, they'll sit on top of the water and burn you. Add a few drops to either a carrier oil or salt and add that to a bath. If you can smell it, it's enough. I probably add a total of about 20 drops to a bath, and it's less when I make a bulk batch. You really don't need much at all.
Quoting GoodyBrook:

Thanks for the explanation...  The way you put it makes sense. 

There's so much involved in EOs!  Maybe you can tell me a good "recipe" book that would give me a sound basis.  Are there any big names in EO that I should follow?

So much I find online doesn't go into the specifics of HOW a particular EO can be used--they just say that they CAN be used.  For example, how many drops of an EO should I use in a bath?  (I don't want to use tooo much and waste it, but I don't want to not use enough, either!)

Also, I've only purchased Aura Cacia because that's all that my local store carries...  They're much cheaper than doTerra and Young Living, so do they work the same?

TIA!

Quoting jellyphish:

I hope that helps!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)