Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

seasonal allergies in toddler *update*

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM
  • 11 Replies

sorry if this has come up before...I haven't been on CM for months!

DD will be 2 on Saturday and allergies have been horrible for everyone the last few weeks - lots of sudden temp/weather changes and crazy wind. Poor kid has gotten so congested a few nights that she chokes while nursing and ends up throwing up.

Is there anything I can give her? I really don't want to do meds and I don't know if she'd take them anyway. I tried doing raw local honey, but she won't eat it (seriously, what kid doesn't like honey?)

Update: Decided to just go to Whole Foods last night and buy the Hyland's Allergy Relief 4 Kids. Gave her a dose last night and didn't notice anything different. Gave her a dose this morning and haven't had to wipe her nose since. Don't think I've heard her cough either. And yesterday her nose was running as soon as I wiped it!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

hylands cough and cold helps with mucus and stuffiness

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Hey there, I've wondered where you were!!

My only suggestion was honey, lol. Hopefully somebody else knows more.

And I will add: don't let your dislike of medication keep you from treating her allergies if they stay this bad and natural remedies don't help. Uncontrolled allergies can easily lead to secondary infections that might require more medical treatments that being on allergy medication short-term.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this
What about blending raw honey or local bee pollen into a daily "shake" or juice? I'm going to be watching this post - I think ds1 has allergies, too.
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Hylands got me thinking...they make an allergy treatment for age 2+. Just ordered some! 

The biggest concern is getting her to actually take something, but I know she'll take this because it's in tablet form like the teething ones, which she likes. Yay!!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

hylands cough and cold helps with mucus and stuffiness

sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Ya, I took a break for a couple reasons and then kind of forgot about it lol. I'll pop in here and there to look something up in the carseat or no-vax group, but I haven't posted in forever.

Quoting larissalarie:

Hey there, I've wondered where you were!!

My only suggestion was honey, lol. Hopefully somebody else knows more.

And I will add: don't let your dislike of medication keep you from treating her allergies if they stay this bad and natural remedies don't help. Uncontrolled allergies can easily lead to secondary infections that might require more medical treatments that being on allergy medication short-term.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I would try mixing some local honey into her foods.

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Breastmilk in the nose, suction out.. and raw local honey. Hope she feels better soon! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Would helping her overall immunity help?  Echinacia and Elderberry Syrup spring to mind...

jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:52 AM
I'd definitely try local raw honey mixed in to something if you can. It helps me a lot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RandiBear
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Try upping her Vit C intake. That can help. Also, nettle or Peppermint tea sweetened with local honey and a little cinnamon. You can also up her flavanoids through foods;apples, apricots, blueberries, pears, raspberries, strawberries, black beans, cabbage, onions, parsley, pinto beans, and tomatoes. I would recommend ginkgo, but she's too young for it (it's said to not be recommended for anyone under the age of 10)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)