Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural sunscreen

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Does anyone have a recipe or something you use for a sunscreen? I would love to avoid all the chemicals in commercial sunscreen, but I don't know what to use as an alternative.

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I've heard that Coconut Oil has great sun screening properties, but I've yet to use it...  let's hope a mama with experience in using it speaks up!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Jojoba oil is SPF 5. That's not much.
If you have to use sun screen it's best to use reflective sunscreen as oppose to absorbent. I get mine from imaj, a local medical aesthetics school. And i only use it if I'm out in the sun all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Look for a sunscreen with just zinc oxide and titanium oxide.  

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM

We used coconut il last yar and it worked great

jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I have bought mine previously from Whole Foods but I need to find out a better alternative. That stuff was super duper expensive. I've had skin cancer before but unfortunately I used sunscreen my entire life (YUCK). Now I know better! 

michellefrogs
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Check out safemama.com. She has cheat sheets for different products and sunscreen is one category. She is currently researching to update her sunscreen list. She includes the EWG.org rating. You can also use EWG.org's sunscreen list, but she also gives reviews. We use Badger or Loving Naturals Adorble Baby. You need to look for non nano zinc oxide. That is the safest sunscreen and of course make sure all of the  inactive ingredients are safe! I've been doing a lot of research this year because my 14 month old daughter suffered 1st and 2nd degree burns on her face about a month ago and she is not allowed to be in direct sunlight for a year and her doctor told me I had to put sunscreen in her face every time we leave the house, even when we are just running to the grocery store! So I wanted to make sure I had the safest sunscreen. 

mrsquigley24
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Do you know of any particular brands?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Aussie Blue lizard and Nutragena Pure and Free Baby Faces.

Quoting mrsquigley24:

Do you know of any particular brands?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM

We use Jason's. But I usually wait 30 minutes of full exposure before putting it on. She doesn't burn and needs the Vitamins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)