Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Birth plans?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:04 PM
  • 14 Replies

So homebirthing mommas did you write birth plans? If so could you share them? In the next month or so my midwife asked for hubs and i to write our birthplan and  I am curious what others looked like for a homebirth.

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM

When we were planning an out-of-hospital birth for my first child, a birth plan seemed foolish.  But on the very day I went to my midwife with a rough draft of my birth plan, I was transferred to the hospital for an emergency induction and subsequent c-section.

I was so glad that I had that birth plan.  The nurses better understood my situation and my reluctance at being there...

I say get one written now, in the off-chance you need a transfer--not because you'll need it in an out-of-hospital setting.

Seabreeze9
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I didn't the first time and I really wish I had. I am this time for sure. I am going to find a template online and have copies in my emergency bag.
catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP for homebirthers.. :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I only wrote a short one for the hospital in case we transferred - mainly newborn care like declining Hep B and Vit K shots (I stated I would give consent at the time if needed and would want the oral dose) etc.and a couple "in case of c-section" preferences.

I figured if we transfered my personal preferences about monitoring, positioning, etc would be irrelevant since medical intervention would be needed at that point.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I would guess your midwife just wants your preferences written down and that most of what you're looking for is already standard practice for her.

Maybe just write down what you're imagining your birth will be like? Or questions you asked in your interview could be a guideline too.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I didnt write a birth plan.for my homebirths, because my midwives were on the same page as me, so it didnt seem necessary. This time my midwife gave me a paper with several questions to consider. I know the most important things will remain the same, but I am not sure about other details such as if the kids will be present.

For me i just made sure they would be hands off, let me push how i wanted, dh catch the baby,.delayed cord clamping and on my chest right away. It really doesnt have to be complicated with a homebirth.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Yeah I think thats the deal.  She has a sample plan in her book she gave me and its basically like I want lol

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I would guess your midwife just wants your preferences written down and that most of what you're looking for is already standard practice for her.

Maybe just write down what you're imagining your birth will be like? Or questions you asked in your interview could be a guideline too.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I plan to make a birthplan for the hospital for sure because the hospital here is razy, I know it will be ignored once there but hey why not

One-n-Counting
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM

No, we went over:

• preferences in case of an emergency. 
  • Test's we wanted baby to receive.
  • If we wanted  the vitamin k shot, drops, or diet option. 
  • Coping strategies.

Other then that we just went with the flow...

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Isn't it awesome to have a practicioner who really cares about you and your wishes, and you don't have to write much down because she already does the things you want? :)

Quoting Precious333:

I didnt write a birth plan.for my homebirths, because my midwives were on the same page as me, so it didnt seem necessary. This time my midwife gave me a paper with several questions to consider. I know the most important things will remain the same, but I am not sure about other details such as if the kids will be present.

For me i just made sure they would be hands off, let me push how i wanted, dh catch the baby,.delayed cord clamping and on my chest right away. It really doesnt have to be complicated with a homebirth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN