Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

If you refused the glucose drink (not the entire test)

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM
  • 19 Replies

what EXACTLY did you say to your provider? i go to an OB office and today they tossed that drink at me and said "the girl up front will tell you how to do it." No time for discussion. I decided i'd just call next week sometime and speak to someone that has time for me. Should i just say "i'm not comfortable drinking the glucose, what can i eat/drink instead?"  GOD, i get so weak when i'm faced with a doctor!!!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Ok I am a lab tech and actually have woman do this test.  In our test procedure it actually says to drink the glucose or eat 10 jelly beans.  I swear I'm not making this up, I know it sounds crazy.  It was actually in small print.  I highlighted it one day for a co-worker to see and she couldn't believe it.  We never noticed that before.  I would have totally ate jelly beans instead.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I told my cnm I wasn't comfortable drinking the glucola and was very low risk for gd anyway. She had me do a blood draw after an 8 hr fast instead, which is way more accurate anyway. So I went for a single blood draw before breakfast and that was the end of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I had to do a certain meal and get my blood drawn exactly two hours after.
I actually didn't turn down the glucola test though, I did it and failed and when I went back for the three hour test, I drank it and through up forty five minutes later so I had to do it again another day and mind you the mid wives I saw were out of town and I rented a hotel room just to be there in the am right at opening to take the test and when I did it again I threw up exactly dirty five minutes after all over the lobby!!!!
the mid wife want willing to clean up my puke a third time so the gave me an alternative.
next time I will be saying no to it and asking for the same alternative I got last time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gamelas
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

my mw uses naked juice, same sugar load

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM
2 moms liked this

So you just walked out?!  (Did you take the glucola with you?!)  I LOVE IT!

Next time say, "I'm not putting that crap into my baby's body!  If you don't have a better alternative, I'm not doing it!"

:)

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I told them I wasn't doing it and asked how else can the test be done. I pricked my finger for two weeks.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

my midwife just ran a test without any drink or fasting

JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
This is what I did with my youngest and I will for this one too.

Quoting jellyphish:

I told my cnm I wasn't comfortable drinking the glucola and was very low risk for gd anyway. She had me do a blood draw after an 8 hr fast instead, which is way more accurate anyway. So I went for a single blood draw before breakfast and that was the end of it.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Totally! The catch 22 of the drink is that its loaded with all the crap that causes gd in the first place! So if a mom isn't willing to drink it because she avoids all that crap, chances are pretty good she doesn't have gd anyway. So you can also say "I won't drink that crap because I want to avoid gd" and see what happens.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

So you just walked out?!  (Did you take the glucola with you?!)  I LOVE IT!

Next time say, "I'm not putting that crap into my baby's body!  If you don't have a better alternative, I'm not doing it!"

:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMammaof2
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I asked my midwife about it prepared to decline it. She said I would only drink 100% grape juice and would do a finger prick an hour later. My midwife also had me keep a food journal for two weeks prior to my testing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN