Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm failing as a mother...

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:39 AM
  • 23 Replies
when it comes to feeding my son. No, I don't starve him, but I'm really embarrassed by our eating habits. it something I've felt guilt about since about a month after he started solids.
I am expecting the bashing but really hope everyone focuses on the fact that I want to do better!
at first my mind set was, I'm breastfeeding 90% of the time so if his 10% of solids is crap (sucker, cookies, fast food) it isn't really a big deal. I'm giving him the best so a little of the worst can't be too bad... well it really turned into a viscous cycle!
I'm extremely embarrassed to say my son cries for chips at the cash register and eats Graham crackers and cookies daily. (Please please don't jump down my throat & has does eat real food too)
I wasn't to so badly do better for him I just don't know how!! I was raised on MC Donald and never educated myself on the importance of good eating habits, or what is even good eating habits. i was just researching the paleo diet and apparently beans are bad but I always thought they were extremely healthy. I'm really confused. Please point me in the right direction! Give me links, recipes, grocery lists and help me be the mother my son deserves. Help me make him healthy because I don't know where to begin on my own:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Relax, you know, you can do better, so just do it. Then the guilt goes.

PALEO is great but it's a big adjustment, in my opinion. Start small. Make a plan for the week and go shopping. I like to make things like roast, with tomatoes, onion, celery, mushrooms, potatoes, and carrots. Brown the roast, throw it in the crock pot, chop and add veggies, add water, and spices/herbs (I use a ton of basil, pepper), cook on low all day.
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:13 AM
Will changing my diet dramatically cause me to detox? Will it be okay while nursing?

Quoting justone_jen:

Relax, you know, you can do better, so just do it. Then the guilt goes.

PALEO is great but it's a big adjustment, in my opinion. Start small. Make a plan for the week and go shopping. I like to make things like roast, with tomatoes, onion, celery, mushrooms, potatoes, and carrots. Brown the roast, throw it in the crock pot, chop and add veggies, add water, and spices/herbs (I use a ton of basil, pepper), cook on low all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:14 AM
1 mom liked this
To add, I eat "primal" and haven't completely stopped eating beans or rice, and am not crazy strict about grains. It really is a lifestyle change and can feel overwhelming, so don't try everything at once. Have healthy options in the house, instead of processed. How old is your little one?
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:20 AM
he just turned one almost three weeks ago.

Quoting justone_jen:

To add, I eat "primal" and haven't completely stopped eating beans or rice, and am not crazy strict about grains. It really is a lifestyle change and can feel overwhelming, so don't try everything at once. Have healthy options in the house, instead of processed. How old is your little one?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3kidz123
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:33 AM
2 moms liked this

You don't want to detox while nursing and the bigger changes you make at once the harder to keep to it.

Start small! You and your son are use to junk food so to make it easier for both of you go slow. Try staring with breakfast...oatmeal, whole grain cerials, milk, juice, eggs, whole wheat toast and peanut butter, fruit, whole grain waffles with plain apple sauce on top (or better yet homemade apple sauce). Those are all full of vitamins and a great way to start the day. 

When picking juice aim for 100% juice with no added sugar

With breads, pasta's, cerials aim for whole grain

Some good snack ideas include fruits, raw veggies, nuts, and no/light butter pop corn (for your son pick safe baby options like bannana, apple sauce, puffs)

Google has tons and tons of great recipes just type in healthy recipes, or something like that and you'll find plenty :)

GL

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Relax..with my first he was eatting chef boyardee on a regular basis and he wasnt even BF past 12 weeks! Give yourself a break. Beans can be a healthy part of your diet..just not part of the paleo diet. I dont do fad diets..I go by eat healthy, try to cut out processed foods. I was raised on allllll boxed and canned processed foods, my grandma rocked at cooking from scratch but my mom just never learned, not sure why. So it didnt happen for me. BUt I am getting better and you can too! Work on fresh fruits and veggies, fresh bread too.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM
3 moms liked this

BTW what yuor feed your child is not the only determining factor in how you are as a parent!

larissalarie
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this
Ok first of all, stop researching "fad" diets :)
While I DO think diets like Paleo can be extremely healthy, if your son isn't battling some condition, I wouldn't try anything that extreme for now. Just focus on eating a normal healthy diet mostly free from processed junk.
Eat: veggies, fruit, beans, meat, and dairy. Limit: cookies, crackers, fast food, etc.

How do you do it? You buy that type of food and realize that your child won't allow himself to starve. Crying about wanting junk food is the same as any other tantrum. Rewarding tantrums IS how you raise a spoiled child. So say "no" and stick to it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM
No worries. He's so young that he change won't be as difficult as if you waited another couple years to do it. He's still bf a lot, so you always have that to fall back on.
Start by not buying tempting crap and buying more whole foods. Berries become desert; carrots become snacks; beans, avocados, whathaveyou become meals. He'll adjust. try wholesomebabyfood.com or even Super Baby Food by Yaron for suggestions.
But YOU have to start eating healthier too. Stir frys, burritos, pastas etc all made with fresh veggies are simple and so yummy. And then all you have to do is make a little extra and give him what you eat. And if he refuses, he refuses, no big deal because he'll get everything he needs when he nurses. Just don't give in to giving him crap and he'll eventually get over it and forget about it.
GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strawberryLVR
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Just remember, YOU AR THE PARENT, and the definition of success is never giving up. Kids shouldn't eat fast food more then about once a year. {no joke} It's not really even food. There is so much you can give him that he would love that is natural. Have you tried making your own chips at home by baking this slices of sweet potato or kale? it's EASY and insanely healthy. My kids won't even touch mcdonals and have never even ben there etc. Sometimes we have corn dogs, french fries now and then. They LOVE korean seasons seaweed, it's crunchy and salty that's another option. Try to fix this as soon as you can and do not give up! He is going to have the carb cravings for a bit but then you will be fine. if you need a friend I'm here! HUGS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN