Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

would you wake him up?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM
  • 39 Replies

9 week old DS has been consistently sleeping 6-7 hours without waking since he was a few weeks old. Now he's been sleeping about 9-10 straight without waking. This is SO different from our toddler and I'm a little worried about him sleeping too deeply since he is asleep for so long. Would you wake him up, or just enjoy it?

He's growing great (almost double his birth weight already), no vaccines, not sick, no growth spurt that would be prompting him to sleep a lot.

ETA: He's in a cosleeper right next to me. Thinking about putting him in bed with me to make sure he keeps breathing?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Oh gawd, I'm jealous. That's all.
RADmomma
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I do t think I would wake him but I would check on him... Alot.
huneebadger
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM

My dd started to sleep 12-14 hours straight at 2 months. I always left her and then asked on here as I was worried and everyone said let her sleep!!

Enjoy it!

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM

It's taken some time to get used to. Our toddler has been a challenging sleeper since birth and is still up 1-2 times a night at 27 months. I can't believe a newborn sleeps longer than he does.

Quoting ceckyl:

Oh gawd, I'm jealous. That's all.

lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Way too long. Thats a SIDs risk. If you're nursing he needs to be woken every 2 hours, 3 max. To nurse.

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM

That's what I've been concerned about. Do you know any resources where I could learn more, or find out if having him in bed touching me would make a difference vs being in his cosleeper?

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Way too long. Thats a SIDs risk. If you're nursing he needs to be woken every 2 hours, 3 max. To nurse.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
No, not if the baby naturally is sleeping that long!! She's not stuffing him full of rice cereal, not giving him formula, not making him CIO, and he's a healthy full term newborn. Yes he's sleeping longer than average, but A) there's no need to wake him whatsoever in absence of problems, and B) every 2 hours is beyond ridiculous, even for people who think you need to wake them.

OP since baby is healthy and he's naturally sleeping that long, it's totally fine. Try to enjoy it. In my experience with a baby like this (my oldest), when the nurses at the hospital were trying to convince me she'd die if I didn't wake her after 4 hours *eye roll*, she wouldn't wake up and nurse before she was ready anyway. From day 1 she slept 6 hours at night. By 6 weeks she was sleeping 8+ hours. She obviously lived and didn't die of SIDS :)

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree with this completely. If babe is ebf and healthy, no worries. At two months it's not important for babe to nurse every five hours anymore.

Quoting larissalarie:

No, not if the baby naturally is sleeping that long!! She's not stuffing him full of rice cereal, not giving him formula, not making him CIO, and he's a healthy full term newborn. Yes he's sleeping longer than average, but A) there's no need to wake him whatsoever in absence of problems, and B) every 2 hours is beyond ridiculous, even for people who think you need to wake them.

OP since baby is healthy and he's naturally sleeping that long, it's totally fine. Try to enjoy it. In my experience with a baby like this (my oldest), when the nurses at the hospital were trying to convince me she'd die if I didn't wake her after 4 hours *eye roll*, she wouldn't wake up and nurse before she was ready already. From day 1 she slept 6 hours at night. By 6 weeks she was sleeping 8+ hours. She obviously lived and didn't die of SIDS :)

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts because it will change when he starts teething.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree completely. And keep in mind that it likely will change soon. Newbie schedules fluctuate so much! Enjoy it whils you can!

Quoting jellyphish:

I agree with this completely. If babe is ebf and healthy, no worries. At two months it's not important for babe to nurse every five hours anymore.

Quoting larissalarie:

OP since baby is healthy and he's naturally sleeping that long, it's totally fine. Try to enjoy it. In my experience with a baby like this (my oldest), when the nurses at the hospital were trying to convince me she'd die if I didn't wake her after 4 hours *eye roll*, she wouldn't wake up and nurse before she was ready already. From day 1 she slept 6 hours at night. By 6 weeks she was sleeping 8+ hours. She obviously lived and didn't die of SIDS :)

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)