Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My new little man is here! Birth Story :)

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM
  • 19 Replies
2 moms liked this

We had actually looked up the full moon this month to find out it was April 25th and talked about how that would be a good time for the baby to be born.  I guess he was listening!

Had an OB appt on Wed and went over my birthplan with her, got re-swabbed for GBS.  I had done six days of tea tree oil suppositories and amped up the probiotics. She asked about what we wanted to do in the case I went past 41 weeks as I had with my first. 

I slept terrible that night and just gave up at about three am. Did some spinningbabies inversions and exercises to help my back.  My husband got back from a night shift, and then we sent the big man off to school.  I was so tired that instead of getting my house cleaned up I just napped on the couch off and on until noon ... in between eating a whole bunch.  By noon I couldn't sleep anymore so I started to wobble around and clean as much as I could.  Started having some period-like cramps regularly and by the time my husband got up I was pretty sure we'd be having a baby over the weekend.  Cramps went on, but nothing too bad that I couldn't relax and breathe through.  I figured that it would eventually taper off but was a good sign for having a baby soon.  We were pretty excited about how the weekend would work out so nicely.  So I sent him off to work another night shift and figured that I'd go to bed with my son and sleep off the cramps. 

Instead, while I was at the sink washing dishes my water gushed out.  My son was home from school by now (he's 6) and thought it was absolutely hilarious.  This was at five o'clock.  I called my husband to tell him, figuring that labor would go throughout the night.  He was fine about it, but when he told his supervisor they told him to get his butt home.  By the time he called back things had gotten much more intense and I was happy to hear he was on the way.  I called over my sister in law to watch my son.  She got there and was so sweet to finsh the dishes for me (apparently I was upset that I couldn't).  My son was so sweet, he stood next to me and rubbed my back.  I called the dr to see when I should come in and she said to just consider drive time as second labors are quicker.  She joked that if it happened at home to make sure my husband supported the perineum.

By six my husband was home and we hung around for a half hour to see what I wanted to do.  I really wanted to get in the tub and was worried about scaring my son, so we decided to head to the hospital. 

The triage center was just like I thought it'd be - annoying and unecessary.  I was rather umm, firm with them and my wishes. Nurse:  "Maam you need to lay down so I can check you,"  Me: "You need to back off."  And they did!  They realized things were moving quickly and got me an L&D room quite fast.  My dr met me there and was great.  I got in the tub and she and the nurses stayed out in the room leaving my husband and I alone.  Turns out that I deal with contractions by vocalizing. Loudly.  So that may have been extra incentive for them to stay back.  They checked only when I asked and used a portable heart rate monitor once in a while to check on baby.  I was initially a seven but that quickly went to complete.  The urge to push with contractions was overwhelming and I had been doing it the whole time I was in the tub.  After she said I was complete I tried a few more focused pushes in the tub, but got very frustrated. 

I now understand the phrases "bowling ball between your legs" and "ring of fire."  By this time the pressure was overwhelming and I just wanted him out.  I started to get upset a bit, thinking it wasn't going to happen.  They asked if I wanted out of the tub and they helped me find a position on the bed.  I felt like I was pushing forever and he wouldn't come out!  I ended up turning around and my dr helped stretch.  Feeling his head come out was incredible.  The cord was jumbled around his neck so she pushed that aside and it was such a relief to push his body out.  My husband was crying, and I got to hold him right away.  They waited to clamp the cord, she even asked before she did so.  The baby nurse introduced herself and said to let her know when I was ready for weight and a quick bath.  Then she simply stood aside.  It was clear they had all read my birth plan!!

He wasn't quite ready to nurse yet, so I handed him over for a weight and a wash while I delivered the placenta (ow!) and got stiched up.  I had some tears, not too bad though.  My dr said that the episiotomy scar from my first birth decreased the stretch and actually was where I tore.  I was shaking so much from the hormones , my husband was all teary, and it turns out little man does not love baths!  He was 9lbs9oz and 21 inches long.  Very vocal and active, eyes open and searching.  They told me about the policy to check a blood sugar, but held out the refusal form as they were telling me. 

I was so happy to get washed up and then my big boy came in with father in law and sister in law.  We have this sweet picture of the boys staring at each other. 

It was a great birth.  Really healing from the first one where I felt bullied and had things done (like that wretched episiotomy) without permission.  My dr was so supportive and respectful and the nurses were, too.  No IV, no meds, no catheters.  It was painful and incredibly intense but thankfully quick.  I'm pretty embarassed by how loud I was, but my husband said it worked to keep our personal space bubble. :)

The nurses said that baby was so much more active and alert than they were used to seeing.  He has had a great latch from the start and nurses like a champ.   Absolutely beautiful and healthy.  We were able to get out of the hospital in 24 hours, which was great.

It was bittersweet because we rushed over to see my mother in law who has been on hospice care.  She had held on for much longer than expected, through much pain and suffering.  Though barely awake we introduced her to the newest family member and told her how much we loved her.  We all got home and got to bed pretty late (especially for the six year old).  The next day my mother in law passed.  We think she was holding on to see her grandbaby and were so relieved that she was able to finally let go.

It's been a whirl wind.  We're all so in love and feeling very blessed. 

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Congratulations! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Thanks for sharing.. :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Magnolia7
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, and the tea tree oil/probiotics did the trick.  GBS negative on the second swab!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Aww I'm so glad everything went well and you had a great natural birth! Wonderful and congrats!! I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL though :(

Magnolia7
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Thank you.  We really wish she had time where she could have held him.  But it was such a relief knowing that she's not in pain anymore.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Congrats on the baby! I'm hoping they'll listen to my plan like they did yours. I'm sorry to hear about your MIL :(

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM
What an amazing story with your MIL!! Congratulations on your new addition. What is baby's name?
conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Congratulations! How touching to know that your MIL held on through these last days and was able to see another grandchild before parting.

larissalarie
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Congratulations!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAHM927
by Lesly on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Congratulations! What a great story :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)