Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How different are you from your mom/parents in your parenting?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM
  • 29 Replies

How different is your parenting from the way your parents or mom raised you? 

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Polar opposites
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Ditto

Quoting jellyphish:

Polar opposites

SadieJames
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Very.  My mom was mainstream and in the 80s so it was formula, cribs, CIO.  She's great now though about "know better, do better".  My dad was more "crunchy" as he was a farmer but he passed away before dd was born - I'd like to think he would have appreciated what I'm doing though.

Nee86
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Not to different actually. My mom cloth diapered, beloved in natural birth, made her own baby food (most of the time), and tried to feed whole foods.

But it seems as we got older she left her natural ways. She become more hands off then she was before and it really seemed like we were burdens to her. My grandmother has even commented on it that the older my brothers and I got it seemed my mom was less interested in being a parent. I hope and pray I never treat my children like they a burdens.
larissalarie
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Pretty darn different, although the spirit behind both of our styles is similar with good intentions :) I think that's why we get along great and don't have clashes over how I do things differently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CatFishMom
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Very, and she looks at my choices as a personal attack on her own parenting style. It's irritating.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM
In some ways we are very different. My parents were born in 1945 & they very much believed if you hold your kids too much they will be spoiled and you have to let them cry or they will be brats. But my mom did a lot out of love. She BF and sometimes bedshared. She's appreciated my parenting more as she sees my kids grow up and how well mannered they are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Same here.

Quoting CatFishMom:

Very, and she looks at my choices as a personal attack on her own parenting style. It's irritating.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM
My mom felt this way too for awhile but I told her that we all do the best with what we know at the time

Quoting CatFishMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mitzi31
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Oh gosh! WAY different... there was no reseaching anything back then though. She pretty much had to go on what doctors said. I think we all are better parents today because of computers and researching. IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN