Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I just lost to the evil medicalize world of birth *edit

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 27 Replies
After months of educating a friend of mine that is a first time mom on natural birth (which she wanted), breech presentations and births, and the dangerous of surgical births i lost her to her ob. She went in for her 40 week and they told her they SUSPECTED the baby was breech again and now her csection is scheduled for in the morning. They never did an ultrasound and they wont give her one tomorrow either. Ive told her over and over that she has till 42 weeks and even showed her were ACOG states up till 42 weeks and how breech baby can flip during labor. She now refuses to speak to me and has disappeared off of my fb. This whole pregnancy she has never complained, always said he will come when ready that there is no rush and openly taken my advice and research. I know her family has been bugging her about having the baby and she spent the day yesterday with her sister how has been the worst. I just pray is she goes through with it that there are no complications and she doesnt regret it.

Edit: im not calling all hospital birthers brainwashed nor am i saying she isnt free to agree with her OB. I know women who have birthed all different ways that are both happy or regretful of medicated births, natural births, csection etc... its just something isnt right when you have a mom thats super excited, that was planning a natural birth up till today now having a nonmedically needed surgical birth.
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM

She has the right to follow her heart, wherever that takes her.  It's amazing what the word of an OB can do to turn a pregnant mama's mind.

Sad....  :(

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Oh man that really sucks! I hope baby is NOT breech and she can have this baby without interventions

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:04 PM
She kept telling me she wanted a water birth but im afraid shes one of them thats been brainwashed by modern medicine.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

She has the right to follow her heart, wherever that takes her.  It's amazing what the word of an OB can do to turn a pregnant mama's mind.

Sad....  :(

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Well whether baby is or isnt they wont know till they cut her open. Im afraid baby isnt breech, she has the section then finds out and it destroys her emotionally. She kept telling me she wanted a water birth and was researching natural births.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Oh man that really sucks! I hope baby is NOT breech and she can have this baby without interventions

Ptitchou
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Sigh. Women are free to make their own decisions. They own theirs. You own yours. Not all women who opt for a hospital birth are brainwashed. She needs to feel comfortable with her decision.
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM
I NEVER said women who have hospital births are brainwashed. She works in healthcare so i can bet she is because coming from someone else in healthcare its not hard to believe the lies in those books.

And when you have a mom that up till this morning was planning a natural hospital birth now going in for a csection you know something is up.

Quoting Ptitchou:

Sigh. Women are free to make their own decisions. They own theirs. You own yours. Not all women who opt for a hospital birth are brainwashed. She needs to feel comfortable with her decision.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I'm sorry that happened. It's sad. Sadly most women who say they want a natural birth never really do enough research on it to really follow through and get bullied or scared out of it at the last minute. The end of pregnancy is a tough place to be at and you can be very vulnerable. If she wasn't educated and well researched she would easily be swayed. Hope everything goes OK for her and baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM
I tried my best to educate her, guess my best was good enough :(

Quoting jconney80:

I'm sorry that happened. It's sad. Sadly most women who say they want a natural birth never really do enough research on it to really follow through and get bullied or scared out of it at the last minute. The end of pregnancy is a tough place to be at and you can be very vulnerable. If she wasn't educated and well researched she would easily be swayed. Hope everything goes OK for her and baby.
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:20 AM
There's no way in hell I'd agree to surgery on the doctor's guess that baby is breech. Informed or not, one should question major surgery, and at the very least get a second opinion.

If she's content with blindly following her doctor's "advice" you'll just have to let it go. I understand how frustrating it is.
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Seriously, that's like going to the doctor with stomach cramps and him automatically saying, "We're going to remove your appendix." Wouldn't you want more than his guess?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)