Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Waterbirth

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 16 Replies

I am new to this group.  My husband and I are trying to figure out the best method of delivery for our baby boy.  I am very interested in waterbirths, but do not know much about them.  

Has anyone in the group ever given birth via waterbirth?  Or know anyone that has?  I am wondering how the experience was.  

Has anyone looked into it as an option for their birthing plan, if so where did you find the most helpful information???

Any help would be appreciated!!!

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I labored in the water but birthed on dry land...

Are you with a midwife for a home or birthcenter birth?  They'll be so much more open to it than a hospital delivery would...  I've yet to hear of an OB attending a water birth, but maybe some of the other gals have had this experience.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I also labored in water and the experience was incredible! The hospital would not allow me to birth in the tub though, I would have liked that, but I al really liked already being in bed after I birthed her. All I had to do was turn over on my back and put her on my chest. I don't think I would have liked having to get out of the tub while holding the baby, or giving he baby to someone else either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I chose not to waterbirth, but there a lot of moms in here who have done it. Everyone I know who's done it, loved it.

Where will you be birthing? Most hospitals don't allow waterbirths, but it's very common in freestanding birth centers and homebirths.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I've heard water births are amazing, gl on your journey.

ballerina.2006
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I can only labor in the water for a short time as my labors stall other wise :(

Definitely research it! When the time comes your best bet is to follow the lead of your body. Just be open to a dry birth in case the water just doesn't work out for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Quoting ballerina.2006:

I can only labor in the water for a short time as my labors stall other wise :(

Definitely research it! When the time comes your best bet is to follow the lead of your body. Just be open to a dry birth in case the water just doesn't work out for you.

Yes, laboring in the water caused baby's heart to plummet, and the OBs freaked out and rushed in...  It was because I was on my back, I suppose.  After that I only sat on the edge with my feet in, but it still helped.

I had been hopeful to labor for hours in there, but little man just didn't like it.

catholicmamamia
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I labored in water.. loved it! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

meljac
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I labored and delivered my last in the birthing tub.  I loved and tried to do it with my two earlier children but they came too fast.  The DH held her while midwife helped me to the bed.  I delivered at a free-standing birth center with a midwife.  It did make my labor pretty intense.  Everything I read said it would either speed it up or slow it down.  Mine sped up but the water was very relaxing.  Here is personal blog that my chidlbirth educator has on the internet. http://www.motherrisingbirth.com  She did a home waterbirth with her last baby.  She talks about her pool and delivery.  Hope this helps.  Good luck with whatever way you have your baby.

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I've had two home water births. I got all my info from my midwife.

It was an amazing experience. When I'm on my computer I can share my birth stories, and pics with you if you want.
Mantidae
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I had a water labor (I ended up getting out for the actual birth), and I loved it.  I plan to do essentially the same thing next time around if the Universe blesses us with another when we're finally able to try again.  You can read all about it at my birth story - http://www.urbanearthworm.org/2012/07/11/birth-story/

If you stop by, please leave a comment!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)