Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Doulas

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 14 Replies

Im thinking about hiring a Doula. Have any of you had one and what did they do for you in the birth process?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaPrime
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM

YES! She helped keep my partner calm and remind him that my "insanity" moments were normal. She provided counter pressure to my back so that my partner could be right infront of me- where I needed him. She brought him food, and gave him a back rub when he was tired from supporting me. She made suggestions to avoid interventions that I was uncomfortable with. She held one of my legs during pushing because I was too busy and exhausted. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
If I was having a hospital birth I would! Imhomebirthing and with midwife and asst I won't need one. I know a doula reduces the risk of csection alot
GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I had a VBAC in the hospital, and the doula arrived when DH and I were absolutely exhausted.  She energized the situation and got us through to the end.  I loved that she supported my husband by showing and telling him what he could do to help ease my labor.  She was a wonderful "daddy doula!"

HelloSweetie
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Thanks all :P

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM
This exactly.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

If I was having a hospital birth I would! Imhomebirthing and with midwife and asst I won't need one. I know a doula reduces the risk of csection alot
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I had a hospital vbac and LOVED my doula.  She was amazing and so supportive for my husband who was scared.  She brought essential oils for me and created a soothing enviornment, it was everything I had hoped for.  She wasn't even a certified doula, just a friend who had all 4 of her kids naturally but did a great job.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:54 PM

oh and her 5th child is due this fall.   :)

SadieJames
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Doulas ought to be required staff as far as I'm concerned.  They're not only there for you but for DH too. My DH really appreciated ours since when I was breathing, concentrating etc he didn't know what to do to help me.  She helped him help me : )

JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM
I'm birthing at a birth center this time and I have a doula. My husband will be overseas so, for me, the doula is going to be my primary support for birth. My SIL is also supposed to be there but if something goes awry with her I know I will at least have the doula to count on.
JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I had a doula with my 3rd, a hospital birth, in order to help me have my natural birth (which still didn't happen).

I also had one for this last one, a Homebirth, because my husband came home on leave, but not until I was 39 weeks.

She was still awesome and supportive.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN