Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Successfully treating pink eye with breastmilk?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

DD has pink eye, and I have been using breastmilk for two days now in her eyes. It seems to have improved, I just want to see if anyone else has done this and had success with it. 

If it is viral it will clear up in about a week anyway, but will breastmilk really help any?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I've been able to clear it up in about a day with breast milk. How often are you applying it?
Bm is antiviral, and has antibodies to anything you've been exposed to including your child's infection, so yes it will help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAHM927
by Lesly on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Only 3 times a day. DD is two, and not so pleasant to pin down and squirt milk in her eyes. Not to mention my nipples are extremely sore from the pregnancy. Did you do it more often?

Quoting jellyphish:

I've been able to clear it up in about a day with breast milk. How often are you applying it?
Bm is antiviral, and has antibodies to anything you've been exposed to including your child's infection, so yes it will help.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I did it at least at every diaper change. I know it's difficult, but it's worth it to kick it quickly. And try using a dropper if you're not already. Squirting from the breast is even more difficult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Yes. I also did it at every diaper change like jellyphish said. I have treated all my kids' pinkeye successfully with breastmilk. It was a massive disaster when I tried on myself though. I still don't know what happened.
SAHM927
by Lesly on May. 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM
How long did it typically take to clear up?
Quoting JMmama:

Yes. I also did it at every diaper change like jellyphish said. I have treated all my kids' pinkeye successfully with breastmilk. It was a massive disaster when I tried on myself though. I still don't know what happened.

JMmama
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Not long, a day or two.

Quoting SAHM927:

How long did it typically take to clear up?

Quoting JMmama:

Ellie-Mae
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I remember my mother having pink eye on a Friday. She didn't want to wait for the doctor on Monday or go to the clinic. I pointed to the freshly pumped milk in the fridge and said, "If you want, that will work." By Monday it was gone.

As an aside, my mother wasn't completely sold on nursing before that, but after she saw that it was a living fluid with other properties than just nutrition, she was completely on board.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome!

I suggested it to my mom for her sinus infection and she looked at me like I had three heads and a pitchfork tail. I wish she was more open minded. I think I even said "I bet if I suggested cows' milk you'd do it."

Quoting Ellie-Mae:

I remember my mother having pink eye on a Friday. She didn't want to wait for the doctor on Monday or go to the clinic. I pointed to the freshly pumped milk in the fridge and said, "If you want, that will work." By Monday it was gone.

As an aside, my mother wasn't completely sold on nursing before that, but after she saw that it was a living fluid with other properties than just nutrition, she was completely on board.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAHM927
by Lesly on May. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Haha there would be no way my mother would ever do that! Awesome that she is more open-minded!

Quoting Ellie-Mae:

GoodyBrook
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Completely out of curiosity, would RAW cow milk work similarly to breastmilk?

Quoting jellyphish:

That's awesome!

I suggested it to my mom for her sinus infection and she looked at me like I had three heads and a pitchfork tail. I wish she was more open minded. I think I even said "I bet if I suggested cows' milk you'd do it."

Quoting Ellie-Mae:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN