Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

need encouragement- so over bf

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM
  • 8 Replies
I bf did until she was 4. She is 2 yes. 9 mos. Older than Ds, who will be 2 in may. I still nurse him day and night. He doesn't really bite almost chews, if that makes sense. I can't tell he's doing it til it becomes painful and I tell him no bite and don't let him continue. neither does he sleep through the night. I have been trying to night wean him for probably three to four weeks. But this boy is an all or nothing kind of kid I'm afraid.I am exhausted and want to sleep.but I also want him to have the nutrition he needs and immunity from the bugs dear daughter will bring home from Kindergarten this fall.I am really trying to balance my wants and needs against his needs and I need some encouragement along the way. Thanks in advance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
GoodyBrook
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Of course you're exhausted!  Nursing around the clock is exhausting if you do it for YEARS!

We had success in night weaning by me pumping and DH feeding DS when he would wake.  Eventually when DS realized he didn't get cuddled by mommy, he decided he didn't need to wake up for a bottle of cold milk...  Took us about 2 weeks.

Ellie-Mae
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I'm not sure why just night-weaning would be harder than weaning altogether. At 2, they're old enough to understand that "Bah" (or whatever you call nursing) is going to bed too. I wore a bra for a time just to make it harder and to remind *both* of us that we weren't nursing at night anymore. When she awoke, I'd remind her that Bah was asleep and she should be too. Then comfort her, or maybe offer a sippy of water. There was some resistence, but maybe a week later she wasn't asking to nurse at night anymore.

The rest of making nursing more tolerable is about teaching nursing manners. You're in charge of where, when, how, how long now. You can dictate how they ask and decide you don't feel like it now. In fact, one of the first steps to parent-led weaning a toddler is just delaying. You've done a good job and it's OK to scale back the nursing to just the ones you still enjoy. Even just one nursing session a day will give him the immune factors.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I have no advice ds night weaned on his own. Now during the day he nurses all day long. It has become tiresome but I know it's the best for him. 

sjk_maybe_mom
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Yeah, this is what we've been doing.  My DD was WAY easier than DS. I stumbled upon a way to try and make it work without as much fuss, telling him that nursies need to rest too, or they may not work in the morning.  That was working fairly well, until we've both ended up sick. YAY! Time to start over again when we're well.

Quoting Ellie-Mae:

I'm not sure why just night-weaning would be harder than weaning altogether. At 2, they're old enough to understand that "Bah" (or whatever you call nursing) is going to bed too. I wore a bra for a time just to make it harder and to remind *both* of us that we weren't nursing at night anymore. When she awoke, I'd remind her that Bah was asleep and she should be too. Then comfort her, or maybe offer a sippy of water. There was some resistence, but maybe a week later she wasn't asking to nurse at night anymore.

The rest of making nursing more tolerable is about teaching nursing manners. You're in charge of where, when, how, how long now. You can dictate how they ask and decide you don't feel like it now. In fact, one of the first steps to parent-led weaning a toddler is just delaying. You've done a good job and it's OK to scale back the nursing to just the ones you still enjoy. Even just one nursing session a day will give him the immune factors.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I let my guy nurse before bed and told him they were going to sleep it helped alot

Quoting sjk_maybe_mom:

Yeah, this is what we've been doing.  My DD was WAY easier than DS. I stumbled upon a way to try and make it work without as much fuss, telling him that nursies need to rest too, or they may not work in the morning.  That was working fairly well, until we've both ended up sick. YAY! Time to start over again when we're well.

Quoting Ellie-Mae:

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I didn't have much luck with night weaning because my son has severe sleep problems so I don't have much advice except I agree with others. You can also make a story with pics of him sleeping in his bed and how nursies go night night etc. 

MrsKish
by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM

good luck my ds still nurses all flipping night. he will be 2 on may 28th. 

Johlsh
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Not sure as I have a 18 month old that still nurses all through the night and three times during the day. I want to wean too..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN