Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vegan/Vegetarian Mom's advice please!

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 15 Replies

My family doesn't eat dairy, beef, chicken, or pork. We do eat eggs, but maybe 2 times a month. Our diet is not for religious, or ethical reasons. Just health reasons.

We get a lot of our vitamins from Chia seeds, flax, and Nutritional yeast. But my daughter hates everything I make with nutritional yeast!
If you use NY, what do you make that your kids like??

by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Magnolia7
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Cheese sauce!  Happy Herbivore has a great recipe - cashews, red bell pepper, nutritional yeast - that makes a delicious dip we all enjoy.

Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Thank you! I will try that today! I have all of that and she loves to dip her veggies (and sometimes fruits, LOL!) in hummus. So she should love a cheesy sauce. We shall see! Thanks again!

Quoting Magnolia7:

Cheese sauce!  Happy Herbivore has a great recipe - cashews, red bell pepper, nutritional yeast - that makes a delicious dip we all enjoy.

Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Ah, I couldn't find that recipe on the website, could you send a link?

Quoting Magnolia7:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I add it to spaghetti sauce, rice, I make Mac and cheese with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on May. 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Put it on Mac and cheese, in cheese sauce, on popcorn...
Mantidae
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

My kids LOVE air popped popcorn misted with olive oil (or avacado oil) and sprinkled with nutritional yeast.  Sometimes with a touch of garlic powder. 

My toddler loves toast with vegan butter, nutritional yeast, and a little garlic powder and whole wheat noodles rolled in it.

Both of my kids (10 and 2) love this pseudo mac-n-cheese made with nutritional yeast: http://www.urbanearthworm.org/2012/09/03/nutritional-yeast-how-an-i-just-now-discovering-this/

Also, if your kids are older, it might help to call it Nooch, which is a more fun and less healthy sounding word ;-)

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

We sprinkle it on popcorn for a yummy treat without the salt...

Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM

LOl, we just call it cheese flakes. I will try the pop corn :)

Quoting Mantidae:

My kids LOVE air popped popcorn misted with olive oil (or avacado oil) and sprinkled with nutritional yeast.  Sometimes with a touch of garlic powder. 

My toddler loves toast with vegan butter, nutritional yeast, and a little garlic powder and whole wheat noodles rolled in it.

Both of my kids (10 and 2) love this pseudo mac-n-cheese made with nutritional yeast: http://www.urbanearthworm.org/2012/09/03/nutritional-yeast-how-an-i-just-now-discovering-this/

Also, if your kids are older, it might help to call it Nooch, which is a more fun and less healthy sounding word ;-)

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Also, theres not really that much b12 in it anyway. It's good to supplement that if you've got a vegan diet. This baffled me for awhile because everything we need can be found in plant sources naturally, and/or autosynthesized. This is autosynthesized but not Enough. So I looked into it and it turns out we are supposed to be able to get it from plants. If the soil our food grows in was left in the condition nature created it, there'd be plent of b12. But since us Arrogant jackhole humans thought we could do better and messed wih the soil and crops, the b12 is no longer available to us. So supplementation really is best.

Just a piece of info I found fascinating and thought I'd share. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Add it to sauces, soups, casseroles, etc. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)