Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

the closer I get...

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 15 Replies

The more I dread the hospital. I am so seriously considering switching over to a homebirth midwife.. I have had three uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries, im super healthy, and i really hate hospitals. lol my SO is a little apprehensive ( this is HIS first bio child)  The cost seems a little much, but i think totally worth it. we are super close to a hospital just in case.. but I feel like I would much rather avoid all the poking , prodding, and having to tell them to shove there drugs where the sun dont shine for the fourth time is just not something I need to do lol.. the midwife i spoke with was telling me to bombard my So with some research.. anyone have some good links/resourses I can share with him to make him feel more comfortable with all this??

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
The Business of Being Born is a good place to start. On Netflix. Good luck!
GoodyBrook
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Show him how a cascade of interventions can lead to an unneccessary c-section.  (30% of women who go in for a hospital birth wind up with a section).

The cost of an out-of-hospital birth is cheaper normally than the OB's cost and the cost of the hosptial.  I'm surprised that you find the cost more expensive!

littlemelblue
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM

with my insurance it is more expenisive. the chances of getting anything homebirth-wise covered are slim ( i have aetna) and most hospital birth things are covered. however the out of pocket cost is $1000 cheaper for the hospital birth overall. Id be willing to pay $1000 to avoid the hospital honestly.. my insurance is lame. 

larissalarie
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, homebirth is very much more expensive to the INDIVIDUAL when insurance covers all or most of a hospital birth and nothing for a homebirth.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Show him how a cascade of interventions can lead to an unneccessary c-section.  (30% of women who go in for a hospital birth wind up with a section).

The cost of an out-of-hospital birth is cheaper normally than the OB's cost and the cost of the hosptial.  I'm surprised that you find the cost more expensive!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM

She said nothing about insurance.  lol.

Quoting larissalarie:

Lol, homebirth is very much more expensive to the INDIVIDUAL when insurance covers all or most of a hospital birth and nothing for a homebirth.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Brandy85412
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Go to birthwithoutfear. Com show him all the positive stories. Find a Doula to help him. You will be so happy if you did a home birth. Happy mamma better birth. I loved my home birth!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Ok, well very few pregnant women are without coverage (considering they have Medicaid for those without insurance), so it's a reasonable assumption.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

She said nothing about insurance.  lol.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Quoting 907PickleMom: The Business of Being Born is a good place to start. On Netflix. Good luck!

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

3kidz123
by on May. 2, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I don't but I can tell you my husband wasn't 100% into the idea but our last was a homebirth and it was amazing! I have what i guess you would call fast labors...my longest being my first at 8 hours. My last only one or two...that baby would have been a homebirth no matter what because by the time we knew the baby was coming it was really coming, lol.

Anyways it was amazing and my husband was so happy we ended up doing it. Do you know any guys who's wifes have had one? Maby getting your husband some first hand male stories would help make him feel better :)

littlemelblue
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Thanksfully he has been open to the idea in the first place ( he's from germany so it seems more normal to him anyways) we weighed out the costs and honestly going to the hospital could be a lot more costly even with insurance because they really meddle with their pitocin etc so much it drives that bill thru the roof. He wants to do a bit more research but I think we will be having a homebirth this time around. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN