Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Is there a test to determine allergies?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:35 AM
  • 20 Replies

I hear people suggest the "elimination diet" in order to determine if your breastfed baby is allergic to anything in the mama's diet.

But isn't there an allergy panel that can be done to difinitively determine an allergy? 

by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:40 AM
I am not sure about one for babies. The test I'm familiar with exposes you to allergens to see if you react, and I'm not sure it'd be a good idea for a baby, but I'm not positive.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Quoting justone_jen:

I am not sure about one for babies. The test I'm familiar with exposes you to allergens to see if you react, and I'm not sure it'd be a good idea for a baby, but I'm not positive.

Do you know the name of it?  I'm also wondering if my mother has a dairy allergy or if I have something to do with grains...

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:45 AM
I honestly can't remember. It's been a while since I've researched, sorry.
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:46 AM
What's going on with baby that makes you suspect an allergy?
ballerina.2006
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Most allergists will not take a patient without anaphylatic symptoms before the age of 3. 3 was the soonest I was able to get my ds into an allergist (the only one in the area at that) for testing and he had issues from birth  :( Before 3 there are too many variables and changes that a baby goes through to make an allergy panel really worth it.

With the elmination diet be aware that you need a minimum of 6-8 weeks free of that food in order to really see if it is helping (it takes that long for some allergens to completely clear out of both yours and baby's system).

Ptitchou
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:52 AM
Nine that are all too accurate. There are more holistic allergy testers if you're worried.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Most allergists will not take a patient without anaphylatic symptoms before the age of 3. 3 was the soonest I was able to get my ds into an allergist (the only one in the area at that) for testing and he had issues from birth  :( Before 3 there are too many variables and changes that a baby goes through to make an allergy panel really worth it.

With the elmination diet be aware that you need a minimum of 6-8 weeks free of that food in order to really see if it is helping (it takes that long for some allergens to completely clear out of both yours and baby's system).

Yeah, this is why I was hoping for a "test."  I'm not convinced that it's not him reacting to my OAL regulating, though...

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Quoting Ptitchou:

Nine that are all too accurate. There are more holistic allergy testers if you're worried.

Holistic allergy testers?  Are you referring to an ND who can "read" the body? 

Yeah, not too keen on that.  Here's why:  I have bumpy skin, like a lot of Nordic-looking people.  My older son does, too.  The ND took one look at his skin and said he had a dairy sensitivity and to keep him off dairy for 2 weeks to see if there was a change.  We kept him off dairy for 3 weeks and the only change was that he was MISERABLE without his sometimes snack of string cheese.  He was devastated!  And his skin didn't improve.  But then, we didn't expect that it would, as we feel it's hereditary...

But maybe you can share your thoughts and that might be another avenue we can think about?

ballerina.2006
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Even with tests you'll still go through the detox phase which is still hard :(

Can you guys see an allergist without a referral? I only ask because if you need a referral from the pedi or regular dr you'll probably have to start with elimination anyways. It's really a huge pain, allergies.

Have you attempted expressed bm with a bottle to see if it is strictly the OAL?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Yeah, this is why I was hoping for a "test."  I'm not convinced that it's not him reacting to my OAL regulating, though...

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Quoting justone_jen:

What's going on with baby that makes you suspect an allergy?

He's almost 4 months old.  And he'll go through periods of extreme fussiness at the breast or after he eats.  Explosive gas and BM.  I HAD OAL and over-supply, but it is getting better--I haven't sprayed in a few weeks.  He eats from one breast per feeding.  I eat everything.  He has a tremendous amount of drool, but no teeth erupting thus far.  Sleeps great.  His little body is sooooo stiff, and he arches his back.  He just doesn't seem to enjoy relaxing.

Nothing is terribly wrong, but something just needs a little "tweaking."  I'm wondering if he is sensitive to something I'm eating?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)