Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

cloth diapers

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 23 Replies

So I think we're finally ready to jump into cloth diapering but I have absolutely no idea what all I need to start.

I have a 4 month old boy (though neutral colors are great too) who is 17pounds at the moment but really tall (27inches) so his thighs and belly aren't that big.

the only thing is...We don't havea lot in invest in this right off the rip. I think I can do maybe $50-60 this weeks and maybe get more in a month or so.

Again, I am a total novice. I've watched the cloth diapering 101 videos on youtube and I like the idea but no idea what I need to have. Please...anyone help? links and prices will help so much!!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Bump for the cloth mamas!

I've been looking into it, and even used on Craigslist the diapers were all $10+ each. New stashes of like 24 diapers were several hundred, and even a "sample" kit of 6 was like $90. (from a company)
Combine that with the insane washing & rinsing routines I've read about recently in this group (we pay per load in a coin-op laundry), and I've re-realized that cloth diapering is just completely out of our budget and I'll be doing disposables again with this baby.

I hope you have better luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this
The cheapest route is definitely covers and prefolds. Prefolds are pretty inexpensive and covers run about $12-15 each, but you only need a few. I only go through 1-2 covers a day because they only need to be changed when poop gets on them.
And the awesome thing about prefolds is they become more absorbent as they are used (if they are washed properly) so to find them used saves money and is more efficient.

GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

eBay. I've gotten some awesome deals that way. Also if you know anyone local that is done with theirs you might get a deal that way too. 

I like the covers and prefolds fastened with pins best. The pocket ones I have are okay too. I'm not a fan of the AIOs, but I know people who like them.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Oh and you definitely don't need to buy your whole stash now. Get some and cd part time until you can afford more. Most cd moms I know collected their stash slowly, and there's nothing wrong with that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tuckermum
by Crysta on May. 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM
I started out using receiving blankets with covers its the cheapest way. I think its the best way to try it out. In my opinion . I do prefolds and covers. I haven't tried any other ways like aios or pockets though.
lifeforchrist
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

greenmountaindiapers.com has a lot of cost effective prefolds. Which is the way you want to go if you are on abudget. I like prefolds better in general anyways. But the covers are around 12 a piece but you only need a few of those. cloth-eez prefolds on that site are my favorite. browse around they have a ton to choose from!

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
to start up and be cheap, get eBay diapers

once you are not spending so much money on disposable diapers you will be able to afford better quality ones, but just to start, there is nothing wrong with the eBay ones
Ptitchou
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM
You can get two dozen large prefolds at green mountain diapers for $70.

Then slowly accumulate covers. Swaps on Facebook are an inexpensive option.

I have 24 pf, 10 covers. And some AIO and pockets. Those are for trips.
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

It is definitely the cheapest way. I got a dozen organic prefolds on eBay for $14. I also got a lot of 12 covers, 24 prefolds, 3 woolies, 12 fleece liners and some misc. stuff for $51. :)

Quoting jellyphish:

The cheapest route is definitely covers and prefolds. Prefolds are pretty inexpensive and covers run about $12-15 each, but you only need a few. I only go through 1-2 covers a day because they only need to be changed when poop gets on them.
And the awesome thing about prefolds is they become more absorbent as they are used (if they are washed properly) so to find them used saves money and is more efficient.

GL!

arigdon4
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM

yay for ebay...

but it looks like I need to do more research because I have now idea what you just said. lol

Quoting joyful_mama:

It is definitely the cheapest way. I got a dozen organic prefolds on eBay for $14. I also got a lot of 12 covers, 24 prefolds, 3 woolies, 12 fleece liners and some misc. stuff for $51. :)

Quoting jellyphish:

GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)