baby eatingAfter hearing Kristin Cavallari's easyhealthy feeding tip -- one she swears by with her son, Camden -- I wish I'd heard something similar back when my son was an infant.

Sure, I gave him foods I thought were healthy, but they weren't always organic or100 percent natural. I just figured if it was baby food, it had to be pretty decent -- being that it was made for an infant and all. (Boy, was I dumb.)

But apparently Kristin Cavallari is much smarter than I was. In a new interview with Coco Ecomagazine, she says, "I don’t want to put anything on [Camden] which has chemicals, and so everything is organic. If you can’t pronounce the name, you should not be eating it."

Sure sounds simple enough. And it makes sense, too. (And now I'm kicking myself for not paying more attention to labels with my little guy. Fail.)

In addition to Kristin's words of wisdom, here are some other great rules of thumb to follow as far as making sure you feed your baby in the most healthy way possible goes.

Do: Make your own baby food -- if you really want to know what goes into your baby's food, the best thing you can do is forgo the jars altogether in favor of steaming, mashing, and pureeing fruits, vegetables, and meats.

Don't: Assume anything with the word "baby" stamped on it is automatically healthy for your child. Read each label thoroughly every single time. (That's where I went wrong.)

Do: Introduce a wide variety of fruits and vegetables to expand your little one's palate. It's all well and good that he loves peaches. But you have to get him used to eating the green stuff too.

Don't: Rule out certain foods simply because they didn't go over well the first time. A baby's tastes can be acquired, just like ours.

Do: Buy organic if you are planning on using jarred food. At least that will cut down on some of the guesswork as far as choosing the right foods goes.

Don't: Assume your baby needs to finish a jar/bowl of solid food at every sitting. He will let you know when he's had enough.

Do: Introduce new foods one at a time, and then wait a few days in between to make sure no allergies are present.

Don't: Make faces of disgust when smelling and/or feeding a baby pureed or jarred food. They're not dumb -- if you turn your nose up to certain foods, there's a chance they will too.Keep feeding time positive.

Do you have any tips for getting babies to eat healthy?

Image via LizMarie_AK/Flickr