Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

In another post I wrote a few women mentioned that they nurse the baby ONLY. No bottles even with breast milk, just breast feeding.

I honestly didn't know that was an option, is it? How do you handle family...tell them they can't take the baby for more than an hour or so? I'm interested in how it works for your family, how you get free time, how long you nurse for, how long before someone else can take the baby for the day, and what happens if there's an emergancy and your baby doesn't know how or refuses the bottle?

Thank you for your storys and info!

by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
ashleyrenee24
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I didn't leave my kids when they were babies. I never felt the need to. I don't see how using a bottle would be beneficial in an emergency.

SadieJames
by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I EBF my four month old.  I pumped in case something happened and she couldn't be with me. I have a syringe on hand in case it's a true holy crap emergency but we don't have any bottles in our house.  And I love NOT leaving her with people (in laws).  

QueenAtargatis
by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM
I did this with both babies. I just brought them most everywhere with me. After the first year or so, they could be left for a few hours. =]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaacsmommy68
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM
My first refused bottles. My mom brought him to my work to nurse. I didn't want to go anywhere without him. He was fine for about 4 hours after 6 months. No big deal to me. He nursed for 23 months.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

My kids flat out refused bottles.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM
As long as you don't work outside the home, of course you can not use bottles!
Yes you are a little more tied down, but to me that's fine, I don't have a baby to pass it off to somebody else to raise. When baby is really little and nursing constantly, there's really nowhere baby can't go with you and nurse at the breast when needed. I find that far easier than leaving baby with someone and trying to pump for missed feeding while out. And when baby is older and can go a couple of hours between feedings, you feed right before you leave and nurse again when you return. You can still leave pumped milk, if baby is truly hungry enough they will eat. There is no skill involved in taking a bottle, it literally drips into the mouth, so a baby doesn't have to be used to a bottle to eat from one if they're hungry enough. Same is true if tragedy strikes, baby WILL eat eventually, humans survival instinct is too strong to allow self starvation. Plus, even a baby who's used to a bottle occasionally is going to be upset and have to adjust in a situation like that.

My husband and other children know baby eats from mom so there's no issues there. When I worked I went back at 2 weeks. Hubby had to bottle feed baby and baby HATED the bottle. He took enough milk to not starve, that's it. So baby getting a bottle early and regularly doesn't guarantee they'll like it anyway. Luckily hubby never bought into that whole you need to feed to bond thing and I hate pumping, so that was something neither one of us were sad to see go after I quit working before baby #3.

Family? Eh I don't leave my kids with anyone for no reason. My family doesn't have that delusion that you need to have the baby alone to spend time with it, so they see baby along with the whole family they don't need to have it without me unnecessarily. Even my older 2 who got bottles when I worked didn't spend overnights with people and weren't babysat often and never for more than a few hours and never without a reason.
Oh and I always exercise at least an hour a day, I just nurse before and if baby gets upset while I'm gone, caregiver (usually dad) does the things that aren't feeding that soothe a baby.

So anyway, you have to decide what works for you. If you like a lot of time away from the baby, no bottles wouldn't be a good option for you. Good luck! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outstandingLove
by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Of course it's an option. I'm a SAHM so it is the best option for us.

Yes, i tell the family that they cannot watch her for more than about 1-1.5 at a time. That doesn't really bother anyone yet. Her grandma did buy us some bottles and we have tried to get her to use them, but she refuses, and that's okay.

I get free time at night when she is sleeping. she sleeps through the night and goes to bed at 9 so i get a couple of hours.

I plan to nurse her for as long as we both like. so ... 2-3yrs?

Once she starts drinking from a sippy someone could have her for the day, but that isn't likely to happen since i am very attached to my baby and love to nurse her. :-)

If there was an emergancy she (my baby) would not let herself starve. It would be hard for the caregiver at first since i'm sure she would scream for hours. But eventually, she would eat from the bottle. Babies have survival as their top priority. :-)

graycalico
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM
I never really have an urge to leave my babies. I've barely left my 20 month old. My mom was terminally ill last year and I took him with me to help her through many appointments and emergency room visits. It would only be a problem if something happened to me, and I'm assuming they would eventually take a bottle if they got hungry enough.
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I can't EBF from the breast but my son is and will continue to be EBF until he chooses not to. He only gets 10 bottles a week of expressed milk and it's fresh. I'm lucky enough to work 5 minutes from my mom's house where he stays so I just go home at lunch, give the mid-morning milk and feed him on my lunch break from the breast then I pump mid afternoon and he gets that the next mid morning. Monday's I get a fresh bottle ready pumped while he sleeps.

Everyone has been harassing us about babysitting, my son is the best thing in my life and he won't be little long, I do not leave him very often other than mon-fri for work. I just don't care to have him take bottles all the time just for me to get away. I do a few things without him but only once every other week - MAX. I LOVE being with him and I LOVE showing him off and NIP. I think it's very important for people to see that so they become more confident about doing it themselves and realize it's not such a big deal.

I know you said those who don't give a bottle but I wish I was one of them. Financially I have to work though.

Brandy85412
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I work and only breastfeed. I only left my baby for 2 hours at a time at the most.I nursed before I left and when I get home. My babies refused to use a bottle. They came with me if I wasn't at work when they were really little. I'm leaving my 15 month old for the first time over night next weekend.
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Pretty much what everyone else said, except if I want to go for a coffee with a friend, I go. I leave for 2 hours, and ds isn't interested in eating while I'm gone. But that's pretty rare. Otherwise my kids are always with me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)