Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In another post I wrote a few women mentioned that they nurse the baby ONLY. No bottles even with breast milk, just breast feeding.

I honestly didn't know that was an option, is it? How do you handle family...tell them they can't take the baby for more than an hour or so? I'm interested in how it works for your family, how you get free time, how long you nurse for, how long before someone else can take the baby for the day, and what happens if there's an emergancy and your baby doesn't know how or refuses the bottle?

Thank you for your storys and info!

by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
3kidz123
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I'm glad you posted! It's good to hear from everyone...I myself did the bottle thing a little with my last when I had to work. I'm planning on being home the whole time this time though, and just got thinking about EBF. I've never done it before, mainly because my family thought I was crazy for not leaving the baby in the first year and my mom freaked at me not using bottles too.

It's so good to know I wasn't crazy...kinda wish I knew it then. lol

Quoting Momma2013:

I can't EBF from the breast but my son is and will continue to be EBF until he chooses not to. He only gets 10 bottles a week of expressed milk and it's fresh. I'm lucky enough to work 5 minutes from my mom's house where he stays so I just go home at lunch, give the mid-morning milk and feed him on my lunch break from the breast then I pump mid afternoon and he gets that the next mid morning. Monday's I get a fresh bottle ready pumped while he sleeps.

Everyone has been harassing us about babysitting, my son is the best thing in my life and he won't be little long, I do not leave him very often other than mon-fri for work. I just don't care to have him take bottles all the time just for me to get away. I do a few things without him but only once every other week - MAX. I LOVE being with him and I LOVE showing him off and NIP. I think it's very important for people to see that so they become more confident about doing it themselves and realize it's not such a big deal.

I know you said those who don't give a bottle but I wish I was one of them. Financially I have to work though.

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't worry about it, the best quote I've found to LOVE is "know better, do better" Now that you know that's what you want you can do it. Don't worry about judging people. But I have a confession, one the times I left ds, last Wednesday - I got a mani/pedi! I LOVED it! :)

Quoting 3kidz123:

I'm glad you posted! It's good to hear from everyone...I myself did the bottle thing a little with my last when I had to work. I'm planning on being home the whole time this time though, and just got thinking about EBF. I've never done it before, mainly because my family thought I was crazy for not leaving the baby in the first year and my mom freaked at me not using bottles too.

It's so good to know I wasn't crazy...kinda wish I knew it then. lol

Quoting Momma2013:

I can't EBF from the breast but my son is and will continue to be EBF until he chooses not to. He only gets 10 bottles a week of expressed milk and it's fresh. I'm lucky enough to work 5 minutes from my mom's house where he stays so I just go home at lunch, give the mid-morning milk and feed him on my lunch break from the breast then I pump mid afternoon and he gets that the next mid morning. Monday's I get a fresh bottle ready pumped while he sleeps.

Everyone has been harassing us about babysitting, my son is the best thing in my life and he won't be little long, I do not leave him very often other than mon-fri for work. I just don't care to have him take bottles all the time just for me to get away. I do a few things without him but only once every other week - MAX. I LOVE being with him and I LOVE showing him off and NIP. I think it's very important for people to see that so they become more confident about doing it themselves and realize it's not such a big deal.

I know you said those who don't give a bottle but I wish I was one of them. Financially I have to work though.

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Most of my bf babes have refused bottles. When Edward was 3 mos I went to Austin for a political conference. A friend there watched him. I left expressed milk and a bottle. He would not take it. I went at lunch to try and feed him. He wouldn't even look at me! I would turn him to face me and he would very deliberately turn his face away. I tried for almost an hour to get him to nurse and he refused. He was pissed at me for leaving him! He never did take a bottle and went over 12 hours without nursing. Stubborn little boy.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

My kids flat out refused bottles.

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on May. 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM
My son never took a bottle. Around 8-9 months he would use a sippy cup. I don't live near family so never an option of leaving him alone. I usually just took him everywhere with me until he was comfortable drinking breast milk from a cup.
TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I nurse straight from the tap for the first 6 months or so. Baby comes with! I bw and have no problem nip. Family can find other ways to bond in the meantime. When I do start venturing out without my boob monster, I'll leave a bottle of pumped bm, but, honestly, ds1 never took a bottle and I couldn't leave him for more than an hour until he was 8 months or so and started using a sippy with bm in it. We'll see what ds2 does. He's a much easier baby, so he may adapt better. Still, we won't even consider leaving him for 6+ months. I'm ok with that - what's a few months out of the 80+ years of my life??
lifeforchrist
by on May. 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I honestly don't think sacrificing the first year of their life is much to ask. I take the baby where I go, or only leave for a couple of hours. But in general I like to keep my children with me. ANd if my husband go on a date, it's not like we go out drinking all night. 2 hours is plenty of time to do something. My kids never touched a bottle and I'm fine with that.!

AudlyLuvly
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM
I can leave for an hour or two, otherwise, I just bring him with me. Family has no reason to expect to have my infant for more than an hour or so.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I didn't leave ds until he could use a sippy and then I would only leave for an hour or two. It has just been in the past few months that I have started leaving him for a few hours. 

motherofjb
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I nursed only. Baby was 2 yrs 5months when she self weaned. I had one emergency and a friend watched her. She stayed with her for as long as possible then brought her to the emergency room. Baby then stayed with me after that. Didn't leave her after that. If some place says they can't come then tell them they don't get your service.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelseyciarah
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Uhmm... Nobody takes the baby, like ever lol.

I'm a SAHM, and my husband is gone 90% of the time. I am CONSTANTLY with my kids, I do not leave the house without them, so there is virtually NO reason to give a bottle when the tap is withing reach 24/7.

My daughter has never gotten a bottle. We TRIED once just so I could take a shower, but she wouldn't take it, and that was at 6 months.

As for emergencies, babies, even newborns, can drink from small cups.

Maybe I'm not your average mom, I don't have help or any family I trust with my kids outside of my inlaws...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)