Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

In another post I wrote a few women mentioned that they nurse the baby ONLY. No bottles even with breast milk, just breast feeding.

I honestly didn't know that was an option, is it? How do you handle family...tell them they can't take the baby for more than an hour or so? I'm interested in how it works for your family, how you get free time, how long you nurse for, how long before someone else can take the baby for the day, and what happens if there's an emergancy and your baby doesn't know how or refuses the bottle?

Thank you for your storys and info!

by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Replies (31-40):
Lioness.Shm
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Never left him for this first year. And it just naturally happened I tried for Him to take a bottle a couple times just didnt work very well so I decided ill do what makes him comfortable also I am a stay at home Idk if its possible when you work. I didn't put much thought into it just went with the flow and we still bf he is 11 months old :)
FebPenguins
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

It is almost like if they don't see (or smell) you, they hardly notice you are gone.

(This is only applicable for older~6mths babies, imo)

Quoting ceckyl:

Pretty much what everyone else said, except if I want to go for a coffee with a friend, I go. I leave for 2 hours, and ds isn't interested in eating while I'm gone. But that's pretty rare. Otherwise my kids are always with me.

littlelambe2
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I have never used a bottle, pacifier, or a pump. I have hand expressed to get milk for freezing in cubes for teething, but that's it. I don't leave baby for the first year, so feeding by other people isn't an issue. Heck, I still haven't even left my almost 3 year old for more than a few hours. I like my babies close, and family and friends just accept and respect it. Dh likes the way we do things :) I bf my first until 23 months, when my milk dried up due to pregnancy. This baby is 6 months old and going strong. 

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I don't leave the baby with anyone and no one has ever asked either. Our toddler is 2 and he's never been gone for the day except when our second son was born but he was only breastfeeding once or twice a day at that point.

I get free time during naptime and after bedtime; if I want to go out with DH or friends, the baby comes along. It's just life for me and isn't really an issue. Pumping and washing bottles is more work than it's worth for a few hours away from baby, IMO.

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

If there were an emergency, baby would drink the milk I have in the freezer (hand expressed when I've been really full) and be fed with a syringe or sippy.

aimhawk
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Baby stayed with me, until recently at 15 months when he decided he was only nursing in the mornings and at bed time. And the only reason he has been away from me is so we can paint and do other things to our new house.

Sunshine71980
by on May. 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I didn't really get away much till she was over a year old and started weaning herself.  At 14 months she went from nursing 10-12 (about 15-30 mins each time) times a day down to 3-4.  From birth to age 1 I just never left her more more than 2 hours or so (DH brought her to me at work the 1 day a week I work).  With the next one, I'll do the same thing.  As for family/friends we all pretty much agree that a baby belongs with her mother at that age so no one was surprised or bothered if i didn't leave her long or had her with me where ever we went.

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Yup same here! 2 different kids and nursed exclusively. My kids don't go with anyone else for the day until they're much much older! My 3 year old goes with my mom a few hours max. Honestly I don't WANT to be away from my baby that long. I got plenty of short little breaks. If needed a nap hubby would bring baby in to nurse then take them back out. No big deal.

If family got mad because they wanted my baby all day... Too bad. There is no way in the world I'd give my kids to a family member all day like that. My oldest's grandma used to bully me because she wanted my daughter like another child. It was insane. I stand up to people and tell them no wait until the baby is older.

Quoting Lynette:

As long as baby is EBF they go with me where ever I go. I get alone time at home taking a bath, hiding out in the bedroom while Dh wrangles the kids. DH will bring me baby when he needs to nurse. I go on bike rides, cell phone in my pocket so DH can call if the baby needs to nurse. 10 years, 4kids and I have never had an emergency that required a bottle. Once a doc told me to pump & dump because I was on an antibiotic, I laughed at him and told him to find a different med to put me on. I breastfeed till at least 2yrs old, but solids come into play making it easier to leave without baby for longer periods. I do like to get out every so often, I take baby with me, babywearing makes this much easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Yup. We have always had feeding syringes on hand for this just in case.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

If there were an emergency, baby would drink the milk I have in the freezer (hand expressed when I've been really full) and be fed with a syringe or sippy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Hubby and I have left our older child(ren) with grandma for date nights and bring the baby along. I always wore her and nursed her. She was fine!

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I don't leave the baby with anyone and no one has ever asked either. Our toddler is 2 and he's never been gone for the day except when our second son was born but he was only breastfeeding once or twice a day at that point.

I get free time during naptime and after bedtime; if I want to go out with DH or friends, the baby comes along. It's just life for me and isn't really an issue. Pumping and washing bottles is more work than it's worth for a few hours away from baby, IMO.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN