Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

In another post I wrote a few women mentioned that they nurse the baby ONLY. No bottles even with breast milk, just breast feeding.

I honestly didn't know that was an option, is it? How do you handle family...tell them they can't take the baby for more than an hour or so? I'm interested in how it works for your family, how you get free time, how long you nurse for, how long before someone else can take the baby for the day, and what happens if there's an emergancy and your baby doesn't know how or refuses the bottle?

Thank you for your storys and info!

by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Replies (41-50):
Kyonarai
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Now, I had to EP (exclusively pump) with my daughter, because she was given bottles in the hospital after my emergency c section, and never did have a good latch on the breast because of it, but I still never left my baby with anyone other than her dad for the first 10 months, and even now, at 16 months, she has only ever spent 6 hours away from us, one time only, and she wouldn't take a bottle the entire time we were gone.

So even though a baby drinks bottles, that's not a guarantee they'll eat for another person. DD ONLY wants me to feed her most of the time. She's even picky about eating for her daddy, who is here the vast majority of the time due to his flexible work schedule.

Seabreeze9
by on May. 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM
In the first few months I stayed home almost exclusively. I didn't want to go anywhere. After than I would leave her with dad for half an hour max. Then when she went longer between feedings I felt more comfortable leaving her a little longer. The longest I have ever gone is almost four hours. She is over a year now so if she gets hungry she can have a snack.

It's not very hard. I never felt much need to get away. I do expect an alone shower daily after the first few months. This is my time to relax and unwind. No baby.
Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM
If there was an.emergancy there are other ways to feed a baby. We dont leave baby for.too long, and have left a bottle, which usually they choose not to have, or if they do its not much. They prefer to nurse.
katherinemcp
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM
My second baby, dd, is 21 months. She refused to take bottles, pacis, you name it. It was not happening. We just made it work. She's one of those babies that was/is completely content in a sling with mama, and we usually went everywhere together anyways. When she was older we would leave her for longer. Dh and I rarely get date nights because of his work schedule, so we usually do a date night at home anyways.

As far as emergencies go, the first time I left her for an extended amount of time, was just before her first birthday, when dh was in a nasty car accident. She and I were both pretty desperate to nurse when I finally got a break from the hospital that day, but at that age she enjoyed sippies of very diluted juice and solids, so she was okay. Then I was able to go back to the hospital when dh got out of surgery, make sure he was settled okay, and got home to her by 10 pm- she was already sleep with my mom but woke up to nurse and went back to sleep like normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on May. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM

This is what we do, too

Quoting jconney80:

Hubby and I have left our older child(ren) with grandma for date nights and bring the baby along. I always wore her and nursed her. She was fine!

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I don't leave the baby with anyone and no one has ever asked either. Our toddler is 2 and he's never been gone for the day except when our second son was born but he was only breastfeeding once or twice a day at that point.

I get free time during naptime and after bedtime; if I want to go out with DH or friends, the baby comes along. It's just life for me and isn't really an issue. Pumping and washing bottles is more work than it's worth for a few hours away from baby, IMO.

catholicmamamia
by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I am an ecological breastfeeding mom.. only breast, absolutely no bottles, formula, pacifiers, etc. Not only is this an option, it was the original option.. ;o)  

I never had to 'handle' family.. my family is so glad I nurse my babies, fully supports me, and would only want to feed my baby themselves in another manner if it were an emergency. 

'Me time' came in between nursings before solids/twelve months, and 'whenever needed/wanted' after baby was old enough to begin solids and handle separation.

My children ecologically breast feed until they naturally wean in their late toddler years. I have three children who have done this, the fourth is a toddler and still happily nursing.

In an emergency before old enough for solids, there are several ways for a caregiver to feed my baby frozen breastmilk kept for emergencies.. syringe, spoon, cup, bottle, or sippy.

You're welcome.. :o)

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 6, 2013 at 3:03 AM
1 mom liked this
The one thing that helps me feel better about telling family members no is to remember that however innocent their intentions are they are still being selfish because 1) they are not respecting my family & the fact that the newborn baby phase is an important time of bonding and 2) most likely they have already had their time to be a parent and basically they are just wanting to play house with my baby. Well, my baby isn't a baby doll!! Lol But seriously I tell myself they already had their time to be a parent and it's unfair to not respect that and back off. Will their feelings be hurt? Sure but you can plan a get together or event where you are all involved. I had in-laws angry and upset with me last year when my daughter was an infant and we were visiting them. She would scream bloody murder if they tried to hold her and they wanted to hold get to make her "get over it." No way! They were angry and lectured me. All I said was you had your chance to screw up your own kids now give me mine and leave me alone LOL.

A lot of parents have this problem though. Grandma gets so excited and acts like it's her baby and plans on having baby gear at her house so the baby can stay over. It's OK to not be OK with it and say no. It is your child and they are more important than grandma's feelings. Grandma will be OK I promise! =) <3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenDmommy
by on May. 6, 2013 at 5:49 AM

I've done that with all 3 of my boys.. they just refused any any bottle whatsoever even with breastmilk. 

I'm actually nervous now that i'm expecting my 4th any minute now.  I will not be able to stay at home like I did with my other children so I plan to pump exclusively so that she doesn't suffer with not wanting a bottle while i'm at work.. Don't want to do formula just want to be able to provide my baby with breastmilk while i'm at work.. hope it work because I've never done it. lol 

LuvAZmomma
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM
I breastfed only. It really wasn't that hard. For me I never wanted to be away from the baby during that time really anyway. My husband and I did go to dinner a couple times i had a dentisit appt and it wasn't a big deal I would nurse right before we left and we were never gone so long that he needed to eat again. I never left during the newborn stage it wasn't until they were a little older like maybe 6 months or so. My children are 2 and 3 now and I still don't like leaving them. I just don't trust people with my children. I am very particular about te way my children should be handled.
LuvAZmomma
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Also a baby will not let themself starve in a situation that something happened and they needed to take a bottle they may refuse for awhile but would eventually take it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)