Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler skin help

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 15 Replies

My 2.5 year old has always had sensitive skin, from birth he would try to scratch at his cheeks, and this progressed to him scratching at his legs instead, and then his bottom, and now his go to spot is behind his knees. I'm not sure why he picks these areas but will absent mindedly scratch at them, it's worst when he's in the tub and has free access to everything. We use tide free and gentle detergent and it doesn't cause him to rash but I have been looking into making my own to eliminate more irritants. 

Currently he has a rash all over his arms, face, legs from sunscreen we used on Wednesday. He hadn't had a problem with it in the past but for some reason he is reacting severely now. The pedi recommended testing out natural sunscreens to see which would be okay for him and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. The only lotion we can use on him that is run of the mill is the aveeno eczema kind, and he only gets bathed twice a week otherwise his skin gets too dry and causes the itching to be worse/rashy spots to show up. But now j&j is under such scrutiny and all I want is a safe sunscreen, lotion and baby wash/shampoo type thing for my LO.  I have used co on his skin but DH hates touching it so it's only me that would do that. 

What would you suggest?? We are having a baby this summer so preferably it's something I could use on both (and me!) 

I am open to making my own products but Would need some recipes. 

by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM

have you tried more lotion like coconut oil.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Ditch the products for a while and try food. You can use olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil instead of lotion, these things are way more safe and way skin friendly than all the crap in even most "natural" lotions.
If you're set on a cream, however, get some pure Shea butter and a carrier oil, even some EOs if you'd like. I can walk you through how to make a cream, it's super easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissRN
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Just the plain coconut oil, do you have a way to make it more lotion-y? 

Quoting Sarah725:

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM

you could heat it up just a little, I suppose that might help.

Quoting MissRN:

Quoting Sarah725:

MissRN
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! 

Quoting Sarah725:

Quoting MissRN:

Quoting Sarah725:

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Just a FYI you can get coconut oil really cheap in the baking section at Walmart.

Quoting MissRN:

Thank you! 

Quoting Sarah725:

Quoting MissRN:

Quoting Sarah725:

MissRN
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I don't mind using the CO, but DH has no patience for it.. I think I'll just tell him that I will take over in that department for a while. Is the CO okay for newborns? Do you have any ideas for soaps for the bath? His hair gets greasy so I do wash it but want to go as natural as possible with all of that. And I am ordering in Blue Lizard sunscreen so  fingers crossed that works!!! 

Quoting jellyphish:

Ditch the products for a while and try food. You can use olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil instead of lotion, these things are way more safe and way skin friendly than all the crap in even most "natural" lotions.
If you're set on a cream, however, get some pure Shea butter and a carrier oil, even some EOs if you'd like. I can walk you through how to make a cream, it's super easy.

MissRN
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Thanks! I have been using it on my belly so I need to stock up on more!!

Quoting Sarah725:

Just a FYI you can get coconut oil really cheap in the baking section at Walmart.

Quoting MissRN:

Thank you! 

Quoting Sarah725:

Quoting MissRN:

Quoting Sarah725:

catholicmamamia
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM

We love coconut oil.. :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Yes it is safe for nbs. You just have to make sure he doesn't get it in his mouth.
I bathe young babes with just water, they don't need much. Sometimes I add some home made bath salts because the EOs are cleansing.
Castile soap is a good, kid safe soap and it's good for hair as well.

Quoting MissRN:

I don't mind using the CO, but DH has no patience for it.. I think I'll just tell him that I will take over in that department for a while. Is the CO okay for newborns? Do you have any ideas for soaps for the bath? His hair gets greasy so I do wash it but want to go as natural as possible with all of that. And I am ordering in Blue Lizard sunscreen so  fingers crossed that works!!! 

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)