Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

membrane sweeping?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM
  • 16 Replies
What are your thoughts? Membrane stripping/ sweeping?

Some consider it induction, some think there's no harm in having it done...(I want to be clear that I'm not neccessarily planning on having it done but I'm sure it will come up in conversation with my mw at my next appointment. I'll be 39 and 4 days then.)

Have you had it done? Said no? Please share!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I've had it done twice, with two different pregnancies.  I consider it induction, in a way.

Both times I had it done it was because my husband was leaving and we both wanted to try and avoid the baby being born after he left.  I wouldn't have considered medical induction for that reason, but I was willing to give the sweep a shot.

The first time I ended up with a medical induction, for medical reasons anyways and I was 38 weeks 4 days, but the 2nd time it worked and I went into labor the next day.   That time I was 41 weeks, my husband was leaving in 4 days and at 42 weeks my midwife would have had to transfer me to an OB.  

If my husband hadn't had a time limit both those time (2 out of 5 births) then I would't have done it at all. 

katherinemcp
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Interesting.

I'm definitely not in need of a medical induction and don't desire it at all.

*But* my husband's schedule is ridiculous and he's stressing big time over it and being able to have time for us- and he asked what my thoughts were on doing it this week- its basically our window. I guess I'm not opposed to it for any reason, but I am all for 'natural'. I think I'm feeling its kind of like taking evening primrose oil and other things to 'help' your body along? Obviously I'm on the fence!

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I've had it done twice, with two different pregnancies.  I consider it induction, in a way.

Both times I had it done it was because my husband was leaving and we both wanted to try and avoid the baby being born after he left.  I wouldn't have considered medical induction for that reason, but I was willing to give the sweep a shot.

The first time I ended up with a medical induction, for medical reasons anyways and I was 38 weeks 4 days, but the 2nd time it worked and I went into labor the next day.   That time I was 41 weeks, my husband was leaving in 4 days and at 42 weeks my midwife would have had to transfer me to an OB.  

If my husband hadn't had a time limit both those time (2 out of 5 births) then I would't have done it at all. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM
3 moms liked this
It can be painful, introduce bacteria which leads to infection, cause AROM, and the risks usually ourweight the benefits.
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I had it done with my first. It hurt and didn't help with the baby coming. I see no point in it. On top of that I've learned of the risk that come with it.
larissalarie
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM
4 moms liked this
It's like any other form of induction: an unnecessary intervention most of the time. To people who say it's not a form of induction I ask, what is the purpose of having it done if you aren't hoping to start labor with it?

I would only consider it if I had a true medical problem with my pregnancy and needed to deliver soon. I might try that first to avoid harsher more invasive induction techniques.
I don't consider being close to my due date a medical emergency necessitating delivering the baby asap :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Quoting MaryJarrett: It can be painful, introduce bacteria which leads to infection, cause AROM, and the risks usually ourweight the benefits.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM
This

Quoting larissalarie:

It's like any other form of induction: an unnecessary intervention most of the time. To people who say it's not a form of induction I ask, what is the purpose of having it done if you aren't hoping to start labor with it?

I would only consider it if I had a true medical problem with my pregnancy and needed to deliver soon. I might try that first to avoid harsher more invasive induction techniques.

I don't consider being close to my due date a medical emergency necessitating delivering the baby asap :)

tyrelsmom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM
I will have it done around 41 + 4 or so with the threat of having to transfer from my midwife looming. I do consider it an induction, just a gentler one.
littlelambe2
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I consider it an induction. I was thinking of having it done with my second pregnancy if I got to my 41w3d appt. thankfully, I went into labor on my own the night before. Looking back, I would definitely wait a bit longer. I'm a huge supporter of waiting to birth until baby is ready. My kids tend to need a bit more time to bake. My first was 9 days past edd. My second was 10 days past edd. It would be one of my first choices for helping get labor started once I was 42 weeks, over medical induction methods. I agree that the risks outweigh the benefits for an elective procedure. 

FebPenguins
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I have heard that it is painful, and sometimes not at all helpful.

No personal experience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)