Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Potty Training

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM
  • 27 Replies

My 21 month old is getting great at telling us when she "toilet" (she signs)  She signs "toilet"  "diaper"

Its great because I know right away and change her. She tells me immediately afterwards. How can I get her to tell me before hand? Being pregnant with #4 it would be very nice to have her PT by the time she is 2.  I am thinking she will be PT by the time baby comes. The diapers she isn't using would come in handy for new baby.

Suggestions? I did sit her on the potty chair but she told me "diaper" "toilet" and all done, lol.

She can communicate very well with sign. I love it. She tires to say it as well but not as clear as signing right now. Toilet sounds like toy, lol.

**********I had her diaper free for half the day and she stayed dry, even during a nap, I held her diaper free and no pee. She work up I asked her and she said yes. Sat her on the potty and she peed. Not going to get too excited but one day at a time. :)********************
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 4, 2013 at 1:41 AM
I'd let her go diaper free for long periods at home so she can learn how her body works when she has accidents. This is how I PT my son. He knew the signs and everything.

My 19 month old is doing this too so we have been letting her go diaper free more and talking about it a lot. I talk about pee and poop go in the potty if she has an accident and sit her on it. I don't put any pressure on them but it's the best way to learn
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 4, 2013 at 1:42 AM
BTW my son was PT by 25 months. At 24 months he was having BM on the potty always so we took the diapers away and stuck with it. By week two he was taking himself to the little potty in our living room
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby4us09
by Rebecca on May. 4, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Quoting jconney80:

I'd let her go diaper free for long periods at home so she can learn how her body works when she has accidents. This is how I PT my son. He knew the signs and everything.

My 19 month old is doing this too so we have been letting her go diaper free more and talking about it a lot. I talk about pee and poop go in the potty if she has an accident and sit her on it. I don't put any pressure on them but it's the best way to learn
When I potty trained my DD I put her in those Gerber training undies and she potty trained herself. I really didn't tell her a whole lot. Just where it went. We had carpet and I didn't want to clean pee from the carpet. Now we don't have carpet so it is worth a try. Thanks. I appreciate this. :)
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 4, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Yay! Every kid is different. My son was used to cloth diapers so we had to let him be naked or he would just automatically pee in any underwear. After a week he stopped doing it though. Good luck! =)

Quoting Baby4us09:

Quoting jconney80:

When I potty trained my DD I put her in those Gerber training undies and she potty trained herself. I really didn't tell her a whole lot. Just where it went. We had carpet and I didn't want to clean pee from the carpet.
Now we don't have carpet so it is worth a try. Thanks.
I appreciate this.
:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:54 AM
I start traininf by taking my kids to the.potty right when they wake up if their diaper is dry, after eating,.drinking naps etc. Once they get the hang of actually peeing and pooping then they learn thats where we go and start telling me before hand or if i ask they tell me.yes or no. Going diaperless helped some too after they went a few times on thr potty. I also put the portable potty where we normally are in the house so its always visable.
littlelambe2
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:40 AM

I agree. Dd was showing signs really early. I didn't want to encourage her to do her business in her diaper, so I just went with it. She was day and night trained by 19 months. We made sure to use positive reinforcement and never punished or showed disappointment when she had an accident. With a happy tone, we'd remind her that she should go potty in the toilet, and that we'd try again next time. When they're ready, they're ready. 

Quoting jconney80:

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 4, 2013 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree! We made it laid back and normal. I think it goes much more smoothly that way.

Quoting littlelambe2:

I agree. Dd was showing signs really early. I didn't want to encourage her to do her business in her diaper, so I just went with it. She was day and night trained by 19 months. We made sure to use positive reinforcement and never punished or showed disappointment when she had an accident. With a happy tone, we'd remind her that she should go potty in the toilet, and that we'd try again next time. When they're ready, they're ready. 

Quoting jconney80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 5:00 AM
What are the signs of readiness?

Quoting littlelambe2:

Quoting jconney80:

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I'm jealous of all you who have early PTers.

None of mine so far have PT before the age of 3.  I have 2 in diapers, and one in pullups (although his is medical).

littlelambe2
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I'm no expert - I only have on pt child. But I knew she was ready because she wanted to go, would tell me when her diaper was wet or dirty, and was holding her pee for a couple hours. She had a few words and was able to communicate these things well enough for me to understand. She liked to follow dh and I into the bathroom and was fascinated with the process. We got her a potty chair at 17 months just to see what she'd do, and she started putting diapers in it! Lol. We didn't push her, or even plan to potty train her so early. It just kind of happened. My doc had told me to wait until at least 2, but like I said, once she started asking, I didn't want to tell her to just pee in her diaper. She's a little precocious, and like most kids, likes to imitate the actions of older people. 

Quoting justone_jen:

What are the signs of readiness?

Quoting littlelambe2:

Quoting jconney80:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)