Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

fleas?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:27 AM
  • 21 Replies
Hey everyone. We are dealing with fleas. We dont have pets, but we do have cats in our yard all the time. My middle.child has so many bites, but none of us do. He always seems to be the one getting the bug bites. Dh and i have both seen a a flea here and there when we sit on our couch. So far i have washed the couch covers and blankets in the wash on hot and then.dried them. I also made a lotion for my middle chils that has lemon and applecidar vinegar. I read that eucalyptus helps too, but have not tried it yet, and that baby power kills fleas because theyvbreath through their feet. Any other suggestions?
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meg4763
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM

That stinks, especially since they aren't even your pets!  I would get a flea/bug spray/powder usually in a couple-gallon container with sprayer to spray your entire yard, front and back.  If the cats are tame,I would also go to the dollar store and get them flea collars to put on them. That could help.  Also, do you know who the cats belong to? If you do, I would politely say something to them about how it is affecting your children!

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Salt! Move as much out of the room as possible, start on the outside of the room sprinkling the salt around the edge. Work you're way to the center (like a circle) the salt will eat their exoskeletons. Wait 30-40 min. Then vacuum. Make sure you vacuum down in the cracks of your furniture too. Wash anything that you can to get rid of the eggs.

I agree with finding something to treat the yard and cats. But not sure what. Sorry.
torre667
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually, you are all getting bitten.  Fleas do not just bite one person and skip the rest.  The difference is, you are not as allergic as he is.  Or do not have as sensitive skin. That is why you can see his bites, and not yours.  

Diatomaceous Earth (food grade): bug killer you can eat!

Here is a link for info. http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

FebPenguins
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Call your local veterinary office.

brittney822
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
U could also try sprinkling borax all over carpets... Then vacuum... Vacuum a few times a day to get the eggs out before they hatch! And u need to treat ur yard. Fleas are awful!
Char07
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Diatomaceous earth ^^
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Magnolia7
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Dr. Ben's cedar oil is what we used.  Treated the yard, house, and dogs.  Sounds like you can treat the house and yard to start and then just keep up with the yard. 

Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Thanks everyone! I will be trying all of these!!!
Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM
There are so many cats around our house, plus possums and skunk etc. I asked one neighbor and she said they havent seen any fleas around.

Quoting meg4763:

That stinks, especially since they aren't even your pets!  I would get a flea/bug spray/powder usually in a couple-gallon container with sprayer to spray your entire yard, front and back.  If the cats are tame,I would also go to the dollar store and get them flea collars to put on them. That could help.  Also, do you know who the cats belong to? If you do, I would politely say something to them about how it is affecting your children!

Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Interesting,.did think of that. I just thought they were attractdd to him. Dh has some bites too.

Quoting torre667:

Actually, you are all getting bitten.  Fleas do not just bite one person and skip the rest.  The difference is, you are not as allergic as he is.  Or do not have as sensitive skin. That is why you can see his bites, and not yours.  

Diatomaceous Earth (food grade): bug killer you can eat!

Here is a link for info. http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN