Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Belly binding question...

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am about to have a baby in just a few short days. The first time around I bought a belly band which I wore after giving birth. I loved the way it supported my core, and added stability to my body. I no longer have that belly band, years went by and when we had a puppy she decided to chew it up!!! I am wondering if any of you ladies have belly binding experience, and could recommend a good wrap or even better a way I can make my own!!! I am looking to get this done over the next few days, so your help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks:)

you rock

by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I used a girdle

larissalarie
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I just wear one of those tummy slimming garments you can buy in the underwear section.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I have never used anything but I see belly bands at Once Upon A Child or other consignment stores for less than new in the stores. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I'd like to try one next time but I haven't ever yet.

littlelambe2
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:40 AM

I loved the extra support of using a belly wrap. Plus, I needed one because I have a slight umbilical hernia. I used baby baboosh with my first. I couldn't wear it past 4 weeks pp because I'm guessing it was made for women with no hips, and I have rather large jutting out bones. I couldnt wrap it so it wasnt compressing my hips too much, while at the same time supporting my waist enough, if that makes sense. Second time around, I used my old baby baboosh ones that weren't worn out yet for the first bit. Then I used a wrap made by la leche league. You can google it.

Baboosh baby pros: it was stiff, and thick, and it really felt like it held everything in nice and tight. Good quality, strong hold. Cons: it's stiff and totally noticeable under clothes. I have wide hips and a small waist. The inner stiff portion ended up buckling because it wasn't cut out for a body shape like mine. By the end of wear, they all had irreversible folds in the middle. I don't know quite how to explain it. Also, it's on the "short" side as it doesn't extend from ribs to hips. You do need to support the entire core.

La leche league wrap was nice. Pros: proper support range from ribs (just under bra strap) to hips (below bones). It's lightweight and slender and not noticeable under clothes. It is affordable ($25?). Cons: I don't think it would stand up to a full six weeks of use. I couldn't say because I didnt start out with this wrap and i quit wearing wraps around 5 weeks pp because of uncomfortable fit through the hips, although not as bad as the baboosh baby wrap. The Velcro doesn't seem that sturdy, but it held up well enough. I think I was used to the industrial type Velcro of the baboosh baby. 

Overall, if I had a third baby, I'd look into a different wrap for the first week or so pp. maybe the one made by the kardashians? Lol. That might fit my body shape better. I would definitely get another la leche league wrap because it was nice to wear under my clothes. Completely unnoticiable, and comfortable though not entirely supportive enough to wear exclusively. 

HTH

mnmbaby
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

What is belly binding, and why do you do it, or, what does it do?

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I just used a gauze wrap I had for babywearing. I think you can also use an ace bandage if you can find one long enough, or really any fairly supportive material you can find at a fabric store.

I tried using a moby wrap but it was too stretchy.

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM

You can find more specific information on google, but basically it's wrapping the belly with a long cloth during the postpartum period. A lot of cultures routinely do it to help bring the diastasis back together and help with healing. Plus it feels really good.

Quoting mnmbaby:

What is belly binding, and why do you do it, or, what does it do?

catholicmamamia
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I loved belly binding.. mine came from my hospital. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Homeschoolmom10
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Thanks ladies! I ended up with a belly support wrap by ace, and plan to start with that, then maybe buy the squeem after. The ace was only $11 vs. $65 squeem!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN