Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Feel like a total hypocrite

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 13 Replies
Worrying about my chick that hasn't hatched yet at 2 days past due. She's pipped a hole and is chirping in there so I know she's alive yet. But that hole was there yesterday morning already. I think she's having trouble. Sigh....
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM

sending good vibes for your chick!

SadieJames
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Momma birds often help the babies come out FYI.  They peck the initial hole bigger and crack around it so the babies have an easier time getting out. I would help her a little.

tyrelsmom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Thanks.

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

sending good vibes for your chick!

tyrelsmom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM
The thing is, I'm no momma bird. And there are blood vessels in the membrane that may not be absorbed yet, the yolk may not be completely absorbed and the navel closed off... there are so many ways to hurt a chick by helping it. Then again, there are those that can be saved by a little help. It's a tough call. I want her out by tonight though. If her development was the same as the others, she NEEDS to be eating by tomorrow or she'll starve out.

Quoting SadieJames:

Momma birds often help the babies come out FYI.  They peck the initial hole bigger and crack around it so the babies have an easier time getting out. I would help her a little.

tyrelsmom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I feel a bit like a nervous OB right now.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Nope, you're not an OB or you'd have her hooked to monitors and most likely c-sectioned her out by now. 

You're a concerned midwife, waiting for nature to take her course.  :)

SAHM927
by Lesly on May. 4, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Haha! Too funny :)

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Nope, you're not an OB or you'd have her hooked to monitors and most likely c-sectioned her out by now. 

tyrelsmom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM
It's just that I know that sometimes nature taking it's course means the chick doesn't survive. And I get very protective of my babies, lol. I am so worried she's going to starve in that shell. I've got 30 others running around in the brooder, lol, I figured the few eggs that were left were dead eggs :(, so I took the chicks out of the incubator. And then noticed the one egg had a hole and a peeping chick inside.
Then again, I'm not being ridiculous being concerned about the length of time, either, I guess. If you compare to a human pregnancy, we're pushing 44 weeks here, lol.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

tyrelsmom
by on May. 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Well, she hatched. And things are not good. She still has a tiny bit of yolk attached to her tummy, but she had pooped in the shell. Which generally means there's something wrong with the chick. The protruding yolk can cause an infection, too. Hoping for the best.

There really wasn't anything I could do to help. Helping would have just broken her out with more unabsorbed yolk, which probably would have been worse than the infection risk from pooping on it in the shell. Though if she dies of infection I'll always wonder.
Ilaynasmommy
by New Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Aww hope baby makes it. We have 4 baby cardinals outside. We've been watching since the eggs were laid right after ds was born.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)