Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Are Dove Products Safe?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 18 Replies
I've used J&J products for my kids since they were born. I read an article about J&J yesterday, I think in this group. I have decided to stop using their products and have thrown them all away. Including the brand new head to toe body wash I just bought.
I didn't know what else to use for their bath and just used a Dove soap bar for their hair and bodies.
Does anyone know if Dove is safe? I don't know where to begin on safe products to use for my kids. Anything will help :)
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM
California Baby Brand, Especial(Sp), method, Seventh Generation....these are better! and Dr. Bronner's. Good luck!
larissalarie
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM
It's still a commercially made, chemical filled product to my knowledge. I wouldn't use it.

People actually don't need to be washed with soap :) Plain old water is great for rinsing away dirt & sweat! Then you aren't washing away the natural oils that keep skin soft & healthy.
My kids almost always just get a plain water bath or shower. On the days I do think they could use a little soap, we use DrBronners. It's all natural & organic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Nope. It's all crap as far as I'm concerned. Even a lot of the "natural" stuff has crap in them. My rule is "if you can't put it in your mouth you shouldn't put it on your body."

You can check ewg's data bases for the safest stuff. It seems pretty comprehensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM
This is exactly what I do for my kids too. Sometimes I add some homemade bath salts. And for myself I make a body scrub. Soap is over rated for sure.

Quoting larissalarie:

It's still a commercially made, chemical filled product to my knowledge. I wouldn't use it.

People actually don't need to be washed with soap :) Plain old water is great for rinsing away dirt & sweat! Then you aren't washing away the natural oils that keep skin soft & healthy.

My kids almost always just get a plain water bath or shower. On the days I do think they could use a little soap, we use DrBronners. It's all natural & organic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM

no way! I use shea moisture from target. I really like their brand!

TTC2Long
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Look up anything you're considering using on http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

I wouldn't use dove. I order online from an amazing natural products company. They also have non-toxic, plant based cleaners, beauty and self-care, vitamins, weight loss products, glucose, cholesterol and bp control... And all of it safe, non-toxic, environmentally friendly and less expensive!
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
What she said.

I adore Dr bronners. I used to be a shampoo and body wash addict. I love the smells of all those icky commercial products. Well I gave up shampoo and conditioner for baking soda, acv, honey, and EOs back in November but I had trouble giving up my body wash. I just recently switched to Dr Bronners with lavender and I love it so much!

For baby I just use water usually

Quoting larissalarie:

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I don't use Dove. We use homemade products and castille soaps.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TTC2Long:

Look up anything you're considering using on http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

Clicky!

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Heavens No, if I couldn't eat it then I don't want it on my body either, with the exception of some EOs. Dove is full of chemicals if you have to use a soap every time(which is not even needed) try Dr.Bronners.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)